Funeral Liability

Options
Hopefully someone can help. I was at a funeral director with my late mums husband organising her funeral. I signed the paperwork but was then told, they would have to put all the financial obligations into my mums husbands name as he was claiming a funeral grant. My mum has money in her bank to cover the difference. Now I have been landed with the bill as I signed and funeral home denied saying all payments would be entered against her husband etc. I was told signing the paperwork was purely so they could talk to me and not to worry the system would be updated re who should pay. The husband is not talking and pushing everything our way and not used my mums money in her bank to pay the rest of the bill!!!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When the bill comes - give it to the bank so that it can come out of your mum's account

Not sure where the grant comes into it.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,284 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly, you would get a better response if you posted in the correct area of the forum (this is the section about international travel).

Secondly, it should not really matter who is named on the funeral bill: the costs should be paid from the estate and so the executors of the will are the ones who actually make the payment. For instance, I arranged for my late father's funeral to be paid from his bank account, although the FD's bill was not in my name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure