Wifi Connection Issues

Comments

• badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Finally managed to speak to JL. They had no idea why some devices would connect but not others.

I factory reset router so I can now access the settings.

Settings were:

2.4Gh channel 13
    5G 36/80

On JL advice, changed to
    2.4Gh channel 1
    5G 40/80

I have no idea if these are optimum settings, but at least all devices (haven't reconnected Sky box yet) seem to be working.

I've also edited thread title as it wasn't a Windows update issue - just a coincidence

Thanks again to everyone who helped/tried to help.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 21 August 2019 at 5:14PM
    Use a WiFi scanner (on your PC or an app on your phone) to see what local 2.4GHz WiFi networks are in your vicinity and what channels they use. Set your router to use the channel number that is quietest/has the lowest signal levels of nearby networks. Typical channels to use are 1, 6 and 11. Do likewise for the 5Ghz network.

Depending on your WiFi adaptor then channel 13 (which you were previously using) may have been problematic - e.g. adaptors conforming to the US FCC standards wouldn't even recognise channel 13.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    badger09 wrote: »
    I mentioned this to the JLBB tech helpline & they said not to worry, I'd never need to get in
    JL Good for warranty , but not great at Tech perhaps. The problem may be caused by a location setting i.e. as US not UK since 13 is not used in the US
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • badger09
    DoaM wrote: »
    Use a WiFi scanner (on your PC or an app on your phone) to see what local 2.4GHz WiFi networks are in your vicinity and what channels they use. Set your router to use the channel number that is quietest/has the lowest signal levels of nearby networks. Typical channels to use are 1, 6 and 11. Do likewise for the 5Ghz network.

Depending on your WiFi adaptor then channel 13 (which you were previously using) may have been problematic - e.g. adaptors conforming to the US FCC standards wouldn't even recognise channel 13.

Thanks, never heard of a wifi scanner but I'll find one and do that

JL Good for warranty , but not great at Tech perhaps. The problem may be caused by a location setting i.e. as US not UK since 13 is not used in the US

Every day's a school day.

If you've read the whole thread, you'll see that until a couple of days ago, all devices were connecting fine. Something must have happened very recently to change that and I still have absolutely no idea what it as. However, I'm now better equipped to try and sort it out, thanks to this forum.
  • debitcardmayhem
    When you have a moment can you try these two commands in powershell at let me know what comes up

Get-WinHomeLocation
    Get-WinSystemLocale
    I get
    GeoId HomeLocation
    ----- ------------
      242 United Kingdom

LCID             Name             DisplayName                                                                                                                            
    ----             ----             -----------                                                                                                                            
     2057             en-GB            English (United Kingdom)

To access powershell type powershell in the search box to the right of the windows button on the task bar and then click on it
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • debitcardmayhem
    badger09 wrote: »
    Thanks, never heard of a wifi scanner but I'll find one and do that
    Search for wifi analyser (may be analyzer) in windows store

edit

Why not Wifi Analyzer(by matt hafner) from the microsoft store to look at the wifi
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    If the password for your Router interface is admin : 1234 or password
    then it's time to change that password.
  • badger09
    When you have a moment can you try these two commands in powershell at let me know what comes up

Get-WinHomeLocation
    Get-WinSystemLocale
    I get
    GeoId HomeLocation
    ----- ------------
      242 United Kingdom

LCID             Name             DisplayName                                                                                                                            
    ----             ----             -----------                                                                                                                            
     2057             en-GB            English (United Kingdom)

To access powershell type powershell in the search box to the right of the windows button on the task bar and then click on it

I get the same.
    No idea what it means though & probably don't need to know.

Search for wifi analyser (may be analyzer) in windows store

edit

Why not Wifi Analyzer(by matt hafner) from the microsoft store to look at the wifi

I got that one last night and the only network it found was mine. This morning it says 'Disconnected', when clearly, I'm not disconnected.

I also downloaded Net Analyzer on iphone, but that only seems to tell me about my network.

TBH, I'm not sure there's much point anyway, as there are only two other houses anywhere near me.
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    If the password for your Router interface is admin : 1234 or password
    then it's time to change that password.

That was the first thing I did yesterday;) .
  • badger09 wrote: »
    I get the same.
    No idea what it means though & probably don't need to know.

Just wondering if it was US hence channel 13 not working ... at least you can now get into your router.
  • badger09
    Yesterday afternoon 23/8, I lost internet 3 times.

Phoned JL during 3rd outage and Tech Support said it wasn't even letting him run a test:cool: so he has reported the fault to BT - AGAIN.

It's already dropped twice (that I'm aware of) this morning.

I'm getting seriously fed up now:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport