Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,243 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    I have always felt the cold too.
    A feature of CP I have been told.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Nicnak wrote: »
    I always have felt the cold. I'm not sure why!
    beanielou wrote: »
    I have always felt the cold too.
    A feature of CP I have been told.

Some people just seem to feel colder than others, I'm not sure why. We benefit from our neighbours heat too as we're a terrace :) although we do have draughty windows.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,276 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Anything below 26 degrees is freezing in my opinion :) I'm another one who feels the cold. People at work are always opening windows or have fans blowing on their desks, it drives me nuts! And don't get me started on air con....
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • I'm one of those people who is often hot :). 18 - 20 degrees is my ideal summer temperature and I've never minded the cold. It's funny how different people are. It's not connected to body fat either, because some plump people feel the cold and and some thin people feel hot all the time.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • I'm one of those people who is often hot :). 18 - 20 degrees is my ideal summer temperature and I've never minded the cold. It's funny how different people are. It's not connected to body fat either, because some plump people feel the cold and and some thin people feel hot all the time.

I think there's genuine scientific research which shows women feel the cold more than men, something to do with the distribution of body fat I think, even among slim people of both sexes. I think that was the reason anyway. Then there are the differences between people of the same sex. I think it's just one of those things, like tolerance to other things.

I'm another one who feels the cold but OH is never cold. Leads to some robust debate about when we have the heating on:eek:. He's often there in a short-sleeved shirt or T-shirt when I'm all muffled up in a couple of long-sleeved layers. We haven't had our heating on much yet this autumn but our house is detached with single walls (no cavity walls to insulate us) and the inside walls feel very cold to the touch all the year round:(. We haven't any draughty windows and do have double-glazing but OH is one for having windows open more than I think strictly necessary:eek:.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I too feel cold & have since I was 13. I suspect we can all guess what happened then! I also hate air con & extractor fans, their noise hurts my ears. But I have no problem with my dehumidifier. Thankfully, as my DSs 30 min showers perform miracles on the humidity meter. It only goes up to 99%. Regularly! The last time I actually felt too warm was in Malta in June 1987 when the temp was 90degs.

Incidently the dehumidifier has banished all the mould despite drying the washing on airers in the house. I have become a big fan!
  • @carboot @badmemory I get too hot every time the temperature goes above 20 degrees and my sister is the same :). We both tend to rush around a lot and I get hot when I'm stressed. Neither of us is overweight so it's nothing to do with that. I'm the person in the room with short sleeves when everyone else has a cardigan on :). It's very hard to explain.

@badmemory Is a dehumidifier cheap to run? Our house is damp because the render is cracked and lets rain in, but we can't afford to have the whole house re-rendered and painted as I reckon it would cost ten grand. So we're fighting a losing battle against damp :(.
  • I regularly pick up those damp tramp multi pack things in pound world type places. They aren't bad as a cheap interim measure in the dampest areas.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Isn't it interesting how we feel cold differently. I have an electric blanket for the bed as well!

x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • I regularly pick up those damp tramp multi pack things in pound world type places. They aren't bad as a cheap interim measure in the dampest areas.

Good idea INOD I'll look out for them. What do they look like?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure