Safe to give out Sort Code + Account Number?

2»

Comments

• Some companies like fellow posters have said...allow D/D mandate set-ups over the phone without a signature!

But honestly you'll be fine!
    Loan-£3600 only 24 months of payments to go!!!
    All debt consolodated and cards destroyed!!
    As D'Ream would sing 'Things.....can only get better'!!!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mikeyorks wrote: »
    Look up AUDDIS - it's the automated DD setup that most large companies use.
    It's been mandatory for all new users since the start of the year...
    With effect from 1 January 2008, the use of AUDDIS to submit Direct Debit Instructions is mandatory for all NEW service users that submit DIRECT to Bacs.

http://www.bacs.co.uk/BACS/Businesses/Direct+Debit/Services/AUDDIS/
    ...although it does mention that the originator keeps the signed DD authority. Maybe the "important - confirmation of direct debit instruction" letter the originator sends the customer (at least 10 days before the first collection) enables them to be set up without a signature?
  • Atomised wrote: »
    AOL and O2 take money out of my account each month and I have NEVER received a letter of confirmation , I set it up online (with o2) and over the phone (with aol). I feel a tad worried now..

Surely they should have done and also advised the payments schedule?
    I would be asking them why.
    However, after saying that I've recently agreed to another years broadband with MAAF, paid by DD, and have had nothing from them. :D:cool:
  • Mark7799
    Mark7799 Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    jrangi wrote: »
    Hi

Not sure if this is the correct forum - therefore apologies if it is not.

Anyway I am landlord, a potential tenant came to have a look at a house on his day off work - he is looking to relocate and is moving from around 200 miles away. Anyway he liked the place and wants to move into my property in around a month. I said to the chap it is currently advertised and I will get other calls, therefore cannot take your word and will need £200 to reserve the house for you. He stated that as he lives far away, can he have my sort code and account number and he will pay the £200 - which he has now done.

I have references from the chap.

Anyway what I am slightly worried about, could I have opened myself up to potential fraud from this Chap by giving him my account details??

I did ring my bank, and the only suggestion they had is for me to take out a £6/month insurance type of scheme (which I dont really want to).

If you asked him to pay his rent by standing order, you'd be giving him all this information anyway.
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Atomised wrote: »
    AOL and O2 take money out of my account each month and I have NEVER received a letter of confirmation , I set it up online (with o2) and over the phone (with aol). I feel a tad worried now..
    Which number(s) did you give them though? The sort code/account number or the 16 digit number across the middle of the card?

If the latter, then you've set up a Continuous Payment Authority (search for CPA on the boards), not a direct debit, which gives you a lot less control and protection over payments than a direct debit.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I have certainly set up direct debits online and over the phone. Most recently I set up a direct debit online with www.gradwell.co.uk for internet services.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills