Locked out with a modern lock

Options
We have a front door with what I believe is a Yale Superior lock. It's operated by a single lock and a handle.

We've managed to lock ourselves out by leaving a key on the INSIDE lock and then closing the door as we left the house. I went to lock the door using a key from the outside but it seems the key on the inside is preventing us from using a key from the outside. That's when I realised we were in a pickle!

We were on our way on a weekend trip and have to leave the problem for tomorrow. That does mean we are unable to try anything until tomorrow so am relying on some input from you friendly souls to test on our return.

Has anyone done this before? Can the inside key be knocked out by inserting something sharp into the outside slot and hammering it through?

Thanks

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do any of the neighbours have a child with thin arms - if so ask if you could "borrow" said child for a few miutes and see if they could reach the key through the letterbox, offer a few quid as a reward.

Get a locksmith in - probable cost could be £100 or so or even more.

If door has a glass panel, break it then reach in and access the key - cost of new panel depends on size, style etc of existing panel.

Can you reach key with bent bit of wire, such as a bent coathanger wire?

Last option is cheapest if it works.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We did this, and got my next door neighbour round who was very slight - she was able to get her arm through the letterbox and pull out the key.

For future, look into keyed-alike locks, and fit them to the front and back door. That way you could always let yourself in through the back door with the same key.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    We did this, and got my next door neighbour round who was very slight - she was able to get her arm through the letterbox and pull out the key.

For future, look into keyed-alike locks, and fit them to the front and back door. That way you could always let yourself in through the back door with the same key.

- as long as you don't leave your key in the back door like you do in the front door. ;)

This is a cautionary tale for the many people who leave a key in the door, not realising how easy it can be to reach in and turn the key. :eek:
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,313 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Our new build came with the front door having a thumb turn on the inside rather than a hole for the key.

We have fitted a guard over it so you cant put your arm through the letter box and turn it!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Our new build came with the front door having a thumb turn on the inside rather than a hole for the key.

We have fitted a guard over it so you cant put your arm through the letter box and turn it!

How do you lock it from the inside?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I presume they mean a guard over the back of the letter box to prevent an arm coming through.
  • freeof1
    freeof1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the input.

The good news is we managed to get back in using a sturdy coat hanger through the letter box, a little bit of persistence and a whole lot of luck.

The letterbox was far too small for any adult to put their arm through, hence the coat hanger.

We managed to get the key out of the inside lock and then opened it from the outside.

Incidentally we tested it after and found if the inside key is bang on horizontal then putting a key in the outside lock simply pushes the inside one out of the way allowing the door to be unlocked as normal from the outside.

Our luck came because that didn't work so the key was clearly was turned slightly. We didn't realise so must have knocked the key into the correct position (without being able to see what we were doing!) and then when we were close to giving up the key accidently hooked onto the coat hanger as we were removing it.

From now on we're not ever leaving a key on the inside of the door!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My modern lock doesn't allow me to lock the door from the outside if there's a key in place on the inside.

It's not an expensive lock and I'd say Chinese in origin. Seems a no-brainer design feature to me.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you're not relyimg soley on this lock for your security? It's really just a convenience lock.

For real security (and insurance purposes!) you need a deadbolt or mortice lock built into the door.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    G_M wrote: »
    Hope you're not relyimg soley on this lock for your security? It's really just a convenience lock.

For real security (and insurance purposes!) you need a deadbolt or mortice lock built into the door.
    Not sure who that was addressed to, but the lock I'm referring to is on the outside of a porch and there's a second lock behind that on what I'd call the 'main' door.

But, as stated in a previous post some where, I had two nice young ladies visit when I took up with my current insurer and they inspected the property before deciding exactly how to insure it, as it's not a bog-standard house and garden.

So, if there was anything amiss, they had their chance! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport