Anti-mould or wipe clean paint?

Hello

I bought my house in April and it needs all new windows as they are very old broken down double glazing. At the moment I can’t afford this (I’m going to have to do one window at a time every few months).

Now it’s winter there is a lot of condensation on the windows and black mould has started appearing on the inside wall bit next to the windows. I have dehumidifiers which are collecting some of the water but not all.

I’m just wondering whether to paint around the windows in anti mould paint or whether it would be better to use a paint that is easily wipeable and just regularly clean the mould off.

It’s mainly bedrooms and some of us already have asthma so I need it to be the best option for that.

Any ideas welcome
Thanks
£2 Savers Club 2020 no. 9

Comments

• Anti mould spray (which is basically bleach and water but usually has a small % of an additive that gets to the root of the mould to kill it properly) is a good solution.

If you give the all reveals (the bit of wall by the windows) a good spray and scrub the mould off it shouldn't reappear for a good while.
  • Cillet Bang mould cleaner is really good. Literally dissolves it away which was important for me as I have asthma and didn't need the mould to be dispersed into the air (or as little as possible) when cleaning it up (I sprayed, left it for half an hour then wiped it all away. I had fur in the bedroom and a couple of sprays even dispersed that). You can buy it in cheaper pound like shops.

However you also need to learn more about mould causes and discover what is causing it. It might be a problem with the walls. In my case it was too thin exposed walls on a side of the housee that didn't get any sun at all. I figured this might be the cause because the walls were much colder than walls in the other side of the house. I cleaned up the mould, laid insulating wallpaper (its like a foam wallpaper with silicone in it) and the rooms instantly (I do mean as soon as it was up) warmed up. None of the mould returned. I'm not saying this is your problem but hopefully with a bit of research you can eliminate broken/blocked guttering, walls that need repointing etc.

Even applying silicone to the window frames might help if you can feel lots of draughts coming through (or putting plastic over them).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure