Re felt a 12 x 8 garden shed

Hi

I live in the South West and have been quoted £150 and £250 to refelt my shed. Both say 'good quality felt'.
Any idea what is a fair quote for just refelting the roof?

Nigem

Comments

• sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they are supplying the felt and all other materials then £150 sounds reasonable. We paid £150 to have ours done, we supplied the felt but they over boarded it as well so a fair bit of extra work involved. Without the over boarding and extra joinery work it is a half day job, certainly no more than a (short) days work.
  • ANDY597
    ANDY597 Posts: 430 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Easy enough job for a DIY person if you're handy.

Think quote is reasonable if it includes the materials.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Any suggestions on materials? My exprience is that 'shed felt' from the likes of B&Q etc is pretty flimsy and after a few years I end up having to patch bits, and eventually replace.

Obviously don't want an ultra thick/ultra expensive roof felt, that's also hard to manage, but a reasonable compromise.......
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 January 2020 at 6:47PM
    We got ours from a local builders merchant. It was the thicker green looking stuff with the threads through (technical!). It cost £40 for 10m. The stuff in B&Q was all rubbish and our suppliers said they didn't bother with the thinner felt anymore. Ours had a 15 year life expectancy but suppliers said it should last much longer. We had it stuck down and battened on, it's really windy where we are. I cant remember the brand though.

It was quite hard to bend round the corners but we had it fixed on a hot day so it was more flexible and I supplied beer to help with the tricky bits.
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    https://www.rubberroofingdirect.co.uk/epdm-roof-kits/epdm-shed-kits/8ft-x-12ft-apex-shed-rubber-roof-kit.html

EPDM rubber roof would be far more durable and for a shed not very expensive
    Those who risk nothing, Do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing
    MFW #63 £0/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family