Over 65s Travel Insurance Guide Discussion

Options

Comments

• john_holmes
    Options
    Single trip insurance has limited days coverage, how can can pre-holiday accidents & other events be covered due to this
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You tell the insurer when you're going on holiday & pay them the money. If anything stops you going on those dates, & it's an insured occurrence like accident or illness, they refund your money.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The limited days is only for the trip. You are covered for needing to cancel from the date you take it out.
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Holidaysafe Lite fell at the first hurdle for me. It refused to quote for a 180 day trip to Spain (65+) and would only consider insuring a trip up to 120 days at an extortionate premium (£188+).
    Holiday insurance is a rip-off.
  • gilesfitzh
    gilesfitzh Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 July 2017 at 11:34AM
    Options
    I have just renewed our annual multi trip cover with Alpha travel insurance. Their quote was £31.91 for a couple aged 65 and 63 for Europe incl. Spain upto 31 days :)
  • nickyhatherell
    nickyhatherell Posts: 4 Newbie
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 August 2017 at 11:39AM
    Options
    I'm new to this so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place or asking a question that may have been asked before but.....

My 78 year old mother has recently had had a TIA (mini stroke) but is now fine. She wants to carry on as usual and visit her apartment in Spain. However because of this recent event travel insurance will cost her a fortune, so we are asking ourselves does she really need it? She travels on a budget airline with only a small case as hand luggage.

As it's in Europe we understand any Healthcare would be free for her, she has her own place to stay indefinitely if necessary, no holiday bookings that could need cancelling, no luggage to cover.... are we missing something?

Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    The only thing I can think of is repatriation, that can be very expensive if she needs to be brought home.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • zunky
    zunky Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Similar question.
    We travel by car to our French house. Our belongings are covered there by our French policy and we have RAC european breakdown cover. I think our domestic policy in UK also covers belongings when travelling.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm new to this so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place or asking a question that may have been asked before but.....

My 78 year old mother has recently had had a TIA (mini stroke) but is now fine. She wants to carry on as usual and visit her apartment in Spain. However because of this recent event travel insurance will cost her a fortune, so we are asking ourselves does she really need it? She travels on a budget airline with only a small case as hand luggage.

As it's in Europe we understand any Healthcare would be free for her, she has her own place to stay indefinitely if necessary, no holiday bookings that could need cancelling, no luggage to cover.... are we missing something?

Thank you for any advice anyone can offer.

It may not be free. I believe she would pay what a national of the country would pay if there is a charge. Have a look at
    http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/countryguide/Pages/healthcareinSpain.aspx
  • nickyhatherell
    Options
    Thank you for the responses, very helpful and seems to reinforce what we had been thinking
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback