Places that offer wood cutting

Options

Comments

• Shaun_of_the_Dead
    Options
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Somewhere like B&Q isn't the place to get precision cutting done.

It's as good a place as any for sheet material if they actually have someone trained in store.
  • gozaimasu
    Options
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    400 X150 mm (I do wish people would stop using centimetres!) and how thick?

What's wrong with using centimetres?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    gozaimasu wrote: »

I was taught that the used powers of 10 go up in threes. So you use μm, mm, m, Km, etc. Not the ones in between like dm, cm, Dm, etc. I suspect Jackmydad is a similar age to me.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    gozaimasu wrote: »

As EssexExile says, we were taught to use mm. SI units go up in powers of 3.

You won't generally find engineers, woodworkers, scientists, or anyone who relies on accurate measurement using cm.
    mm are more useful in the real world.

For some, I think historic, reason cm are (still) taught in schools.

It adds confusion as well. I look at 40 X 15 and automatically think it's a small piece. . .

Most tools and instruments are calibrated in mm. I've just bought a metric micrometer. It reads in mm. Not cm.
    Some rules seem to have cm marked, but I wonder if that saves putting a "0" on each number. . .
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As EssexExile says, we were taught to use mm. SI units go up in powers of 3.

You won't generally find engineers, woodworkers, scientists, or anyone who relies on accurate measurement using cm.
    mm are more useful in the real world.

It adds confusion as well. I look at 40 X 15 and automatically think it's a small piece. . .

Most tools and instruments are calibrated in mm. I've just bought a metric micrometer. It reads in mm. Not cm.
    Some rules seem to have cm marked, but I wonder if that saves putting a "0" on each number. . .

Your lucky i still prefer feet and inches but i am of a certain age :rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

I remember the 1 cm wooden cubes used to teach volume, so 10 x 10 x 10 blocks made a litre. Difficult to show that with mm or m sizes I suppose.

Those crazy europeans use dl (deci litre) as well, eg 75 dl bottle of wine.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Your lucky i still prefer feet and inches but i am of a certain age :rotfl:
    I was taught in feet and inches. When I learned engineering machining in the early 70s as part of my apprenticeship we were using imperial measurement. As I remember it, it was always "You'll have to learn to use metric. . ."
    I mostly used feet and inches up until 1990. Then I bought some new woodworking machines, and they were all marked in metric.
    It seemed easier to just change TBH.
    Never gone back. It's a lot easier.
    I remember the 1 cm wooden cubes used to teach volume, so 10 x 10 x 10 blocks made a litre. Difficult to show that with mm or m sizes I suppose.
    Those crazy europeans use dl (deci litre) as well, eg 75 dl bottle of wine.

The whole thing's a bit crazy though isn't it.
    I can understand people liking a convenient size for a unit, and I suppose for a lot of general stuff a cm is "near enough"
    Then you have the North Americans who won't use metric generally.
    I was looking at a chart the other day for metric bolt sizes. I was looking specifically for "diameter" of the hex head, ie "across points" not "across flats"
    Brain switched firmly off, it took me a second (or several) to realise that they had been converted to decimal inches. :o

It all adds confusion!

We were told a story as apprentices, that mm were used in engineering in preference to cm because it lessened the chance of confusion.
    And that there was a real case of someone making something in cm, that had been drawn in mm.
    Probably apocryphal, but it does make a point.
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 16 December 2019 at 5:37PM
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    I was taught that the used powers of 10 go up in threes. So you use μm, mm, m, Km, etc. Not the ones in between like dm, cm, Dm, etc. I suspect Jackmydad is a similar age to me.

All tradesmen who have been trained, architects, engineers, surveyors etc will never use cm. They will only use mm and m. It is to do with the SI system which came in in the 1970's. I do not know why TV presenters sometimes use cm's.

PS. All these building professionals above will sometimes use inches and feet, but never the cm.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How much is the piece of wood worth?

How about selling your piece and buying precut wood somewhere else

My local timber merchant offer cut wood delivered.
    If you went in during a quiet period they might cut it for you, for a few quid.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • ianto11
    ianto11 Posts: 251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We were told a story as apprentices, that mm were used in engineering in preference to cm because it lessened the chance of confusion.
    And that there was a real case of someone making something in cm, that had been drawn in mm.
    Probably apocryphal, but it does make a point.

Spinal Taps Stonehenge Megalith... inches instead of feet :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport