Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Saddlers2007
    • By Saddlers2007 4th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Saddlers2007
    Critical Illness Insurance
    • 4th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    Critical Illness Insurance 4th Dec 19 at 7:18 PM
    Iíd be really grateful for some advice.
    Iíve had a modest critical illness policy since starting a family 30 years ago. A recent claim was refused by my Insurer. I will pass the condition related test (Parkinsonís) but would only fail two out of the three required Activities of Daily Living (ADLs). Hence their decision to refuse.
    An old thread on the Parkinsonís Forum referenced the old DDA (now Equality Act) and suggested that any policy where ADLs said assessment would take into account a disability aid could be rigorously contested because medication cannot be treated as an aid and folk should ask to be assessed as if not medicated. Some secured a payout on this basis. Frankly Iíd fail all ADLs if this was the case.
    My Insurer absolutely insisted that medication was an aid. I checked this out by taking my complaint to the FOS who said it was reasonable to consider medication as an aid. When I queried the definition of an aid, the response was that since Iím medicated there was no way to assess me otherwise so that was that. I can have my case reviewed by the ombudsman if I request it. Should I bother?
    Of course Iím trying to secure a payout. I know my policy is old and not carrying latest ADL wording that now refers to aids and medication. Mine just says aids. I feel itís a catch 22, if they do agree medication is not an aid (unlikely) Iíd have to come off my meds to be successful - and my condition would deteriorate.
    I feel outraged the Insurer is applying their own definition of my policy terms and I will have to wait until Iím bedridden to claim. Wise words appreciated please.
Page 1
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 16th Dec 19, 12:39 AM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 16th Dec 19, 12:39 AM
    • 16th Dec 19, 12:39 AM
    7511 is spamming the Board - IGNORE.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

930Posts Today

6,728Users online

Martin's Twitter