HSBC to hike overdraft fees from March

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There’s one aspect of this change that baffles me.

Interest is capped for unarranged oberdrafts but not for arranged overdrafts. So having an arranged overdraft is now more expensive than having an unarranged??! What is then the motivation for arranging an overdraft?

As someone with an arranged overdraft of £750 which I do sometimes use, would I save money by asking the bank to remove it so I benefit from the unarranged cap?

Interest isn't capped, the fees for using an unarranged overdraft are capped at £20 per month. You will still be charged interest at 39.9% on either arranged or unarranged overdrafts. Racking up an unarranged overdraft of £750 would probably see you without a bank account sooner rather than later.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 December 2019 at 5:02PM
    meer53 wrote: »
    Interest isn't capped, the fees for using an unarranged overdraft are capped at £20 per month. . .
    The FEES for using an unarranged overdraft are not capped. Paid- and unpaid-transaction fees will be charged on top of interest. Only interest on the unauthorised overdraft is capped at £20 pm.

The only limit on the fees charged is the Monthly Maximum Charge (MMC). The banks must publish this MMC.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • This really is a huge cultural change. Ever since I was a student banks have said here’s a cheap overdraft, please use it! I stopped using credit cards entirely because the overdraft sufficed for me to absorb unexpected short term overspending. I’m sad if this will push me back to credit cards.
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jeepjunkie wrote: »
    . . . Credit cards and overdrafts should have no place in daily spends.
    I disagree.

Payments made from a current account in unauthorised overdraft will each attract a paid- or unpaid-transaction fee. If those payments are made from a credit card then they are not payments from a current account and will not attract the fees.

Used correctly and with discipline, a credit card can save you a lot of current-account fees and help smooth out the bumps in your finances.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The FEES for using an unarranged overdraft are not capped. Paid- and unpaid-transaction fees will be charged on top of interest. Only interest on the unauthorised overdraft is capped at £20 pm.

The only limit on the fees charged is the Monthly Maximum Charge (MMC). The banks must publish this MMC.

PLEASE READ

"In light of this, HSBC is scrapping its £5 daily usage fee for unarranged overdrafts and reducing the maximum monthly cost for using one to £20"

The above relates to UNARRANGED overdrafts.

If you have an ARRANGED overdraft the interest rate for using that will be 39.9% (after the £25 interest free amount) This interest IS NOT CAPPED.
  • jeepjunkie wrote: »
    There are no fees being in credit in a current account and a buffer of cash for bills will smooth out bumps. . .
    And a credit card, sensibly used, can help to get to that utopian position. It's just a question of using the banks against each other to help get out of debt.

If you are not in debt, however, it's easy to laud it over others less fortunate.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    And a credit card, sensibly used, can help to get to that utopian position. It's just a question of using the banks against each other to help get out of debt.

Everybody starts with the intention of using their credit card sensibly. Then life gets in the way. Little by little. Debt increases. Maintaining financial discipline is a life skill. As a nation we are poor savers. Access to credit is the easier way out.
  • jaybeetoo
    jaybeetoo Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My children had a bank account with debit card that didn’t allow them to go overdrawn. I used to pay their pocket money into it. It sounds like some adults could do with such an account.
  • Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Everybody starts with the intention of using their credit card sensibly. Then life gets in the way. Little by little. Debt increases. Maintaining financial discipline is a life skill. As a nation we are poor savers. Access to credit is the easier way out.
    I do take your point. There is far too much personal debt in the system. I did, however, mention discipline and sensible use.

I remember the time - quite a few years ago now - when many of us were spending on 0%-interest credit cards to put spare cash into savings accounts for 2 - 3 years.

Even today, we use a credit card for everyday spending and then pay it off every month with a single payment from the bank. We have never paid any overdraft fees or interest and our savings benefit from the cash owing on the credit card until it is due for payment.

To say that there is no place for credit cards is to ignore their benefits - when used properly.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Even today, we use a credit card for everyday spending and then pay it off every month with a single payment from the bank.

For many people this is in effect spending next months salary. The credit card being an interest free overdraft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure