Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Anitification
    • By Anitification 3rd Dec 19, 4:55 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Anitification
    How do you prove ownership?
    • 3rd Dec 19, 4:55 AM
    How do you prove ownership? 3rd Dec 19 at 4:55 AM
    Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong section, at this time of the night shift I can't see any better section for it.

After recently splitting with my partner they are insisting a certain amount of the house contents belong to them, things like sofas and certain furniture items that take their fancy. I don't believe they are being fair as I've paid the (still outstanding) finances on these items since we got them a few years back, my ex has transferred money to my bank every now and then to help with "general expenses" as and when they could afford. I interpreted this money as assisting me fuel our expensive eating habits etc... they are now saying it was them paying for these finances.

I am happy to split the furniture roughly 50/50 as I don't need some of it, but they want to pick and choose as if they've paid úthousands for it like me. What rights do they have? The finance agreements are in my name, which means the original receipts will be in my name. Can they really muscle in and say because they gave me some money every month that they shared in these expenses and thus own them?

Appreciate any thoughts on this, it's driving me mad as I'm the only one that worked 80+ hours a week to afford the things I picked out in the shops!

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 3rd Dec 19, 5:20 AM
    • 3,942 Posts
    • 4,257 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 3rd Dec 19, 5:20 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 5:20 AM
    Your partner takes the pick of the furniture, and you continue paying for it? There's a thread on exactly this problem in the Family section. I had a quick look but cannot find it - somebody else will probably be able to do so.
    • Anitification
    • By Anitification 3rd Dec 19, 5:41 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Anitification
    • 3rd Dec 19, 5:41 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 5:41 AM
    The finances will be settled with my share of the equity coming from the property - I should have said.
    • Davy Jones II
    • By Davy Jones II 3rd Dec 19, 6:23 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 882 Thanks
    Davy Jones II
    • 3rd Dec 19, 6:23 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 6:23 AM
    If there is finance outstanding then how about whoever takes an item pays for the finance left?

Another option is that you make alternating picks.
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 4th Dec 19, 3:54 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:54 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:54 PM
    You either agree between the two of you who takes what or settle the matter in court.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 4th Dec 19, 10:15 PM
    • 3,749 Posts
    • 3,870 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:15 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:15 PM
    If you are both happy to take 50/50 of the furniture, and you are simply arguing about which bits you each get, I think that's petty.

Life is too short. Just buy some new furniture (with cash not on finance).
    • born again
    • By born again 5th Dec 19, 2:37 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    • 5th Dec 19, 2:37 PM
    • 5th Dec 19, 2:37 PM
    Tell then they can have it all and deduct the value from their cut and you get to choose nice new stuff.
    • DoggyWoofWoof
    • By DoggyWoofWoof 10th Dec 19, 1:21 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    DoggyWoofWoof
    • 10th Dec 19, 1:21 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 1:21 AM
    Check the T&C's of the finance agreements, it may state the ownership of the merchandise is not officially transferred to the buyer until all the payments have been made.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Dec 19, 9:33 AM
    • 13,880 Posts
    • 16,076 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Dec 19, 9:33 AM
    • 10th Dec 19, 9:33 AM
    Check the T&C's of the finance agreements, it may state the ownership of the merchandise is not officially transferred to the buyer until all the payments have been made.
    Originally posted by DoggyWoofWoof
    Eh? Pretty much every finance agreement is just an unsecured loan, not "hire purchase" in the old-fashioned sense. Nobody's going to come back and repossess your sofa etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

801Posts Today

6,619Users online

Martin's Twitter