Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • melbury
    • By melbury 4th Dec 19, 3:15 PM
    • 11,853Posts
    • 21,647Thanks
    melbury
    Cost of bodywork repair
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:15 PM
    Cost of bodywork repair 4th Dec 19 at 3:15 PM
    I am so pi$$ed at myself.

Turned too soon coming out of a parking space in an underground car park and caught a metal bollard. I just thought it had caught the mirror causing it to spring inwards, but no, when I got out to see it has pushed in part of the lower door and sill which causes the door to catch when opening it - quite a dent

I have never done anything like this before and am just so cross with myself.

I don't want to claim on my insurance, but just wondered if anyone knows is it very expensive to get this kind of thing fixed?
    Last edited by melbury; 04-12-2019 at 3:18 PM.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time

Page 2
    • T.T.D
    • By T.T.D 5th Dec 19, 7:53 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    T.T.D
    Telling your insurers is purely your own decision.

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t but thats my own personal choice and liability, 95% of the people in this thread wouldn’t either, their just merely highlighting it.
    Joined slimming world Jan 2019 @ 14st....

August 2019 I hit my weight loss target and am now 10st 5.5lb sitting within my target nicely.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 5th Dec 19, 9:04 AM
    • 11,853 Posts
    • 21,647 Thanks
    melbury
    Telling your insurers is purely your own decision.

I’ll be honest, I wouldn’t but thats my own personal choice and liability, 95% of the people in this thread wouldn’t either, their just merely highlighting it.
    Originally posted by T.T.D
    Thanks, no I definitely wouldn't and I still don't understand the reasoning behind it. If the vehicle is put right at my own expense, why would they want to know.

It was just a very stupid thing that doesn't impact on anybody else and so I will just have to pay the price, learn from it and move on. Never done anything like that before and hopefully never will again
    Last edited by melbury; 05-12-2019 at 9:28 AM.

• roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 5th Dec 19, 9:37 AM
    • 6,475 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    roddydogs
    "Chips away" aint cheap!
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 5th Dec 19, 10:19 AM
    • 24,889 Posts
    • 52,353 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Thanks, no I definitely wouldn't and I still don't understand the reasoning behind it. If the vehicle is put right at my own expense, why would they want to know.

It was just a very stupid thing that doesn't impact on anybody else and so I will just have to pay the price, learn from it and move on. Never done anything like that before and hopefully never will again
    Originally posted by melbury
    Because it gives them a better picture of you as a driver i.e. someone who has started to drive into stationary objects.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 7th Dec 19, 4:41 PM
    • 11,853 Posts
    • 21,647 Thanks
    melbury
    Because it gives them a better picture of you as a driver i.e. someone who has started to drive into stationary objects.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Don't be so cheeky - this was the first and hopefully only time

The cost of getting this put right will be in my mind every time I park in a public car park in future.

BTW I have got a quote and it is 400 + VAT.

• Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Dec 19, 5:09 PM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    Another reason for letting your insurer know is that it could get discovered at a later date and your insurance cancelled, which would give you a much more expensive headache for the rest of your driving life. Let's say you have a minor bump with another car in the next few weeks, before the damage is fixed, and the pre-existing damage from your car park scrape becomes obvious to your insurer. What are you going to tell them then? It's very unlikely, but not impossible.

I'd put it through insurance. I'd be surprised if you ended up paying more than 500 in future premium increases and it saves any risk from keeping your insurer in the dark.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 7th Dec 19, 5:13 PM
    • 11,853 Posts
    • 21,647 Thanks
    melbury
    Another reason for letting your insurer know is that it could get discovered at a later date and your insurance cancelled, which would give you a much more expensive headache for the rest of your driving life. Let's say you have a minor bump with another car in the next few weeks, before the damage is fixed, and the pre-existing damage from your car park scrape becomes obvious to your insurer. What are you going to tell them then? It's very unlikely, but not impossible.

I'd put it through insurance. I'd be surprised if you ended up paying more than 500 in future premium increases and it saves any risk from keeping your insurer in the dark.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    That is an extremely pessimistic point of view

I would simply state that I hit it reversing out of my driveway and hadn't bothered to have it fixed because I can live with it being like that.

When you hear about some of things other people do, this is total trivia in comparison.

• britishboy
    • By britishboy 7th Dec 19, 5:26 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    britishboy
    I just can't stand the door crunching every time I open it

Can a friend/local garage not manipulate the part of the door/wing that is catching to stop it crunching everytime, for now? With a large screwdriver or crowbar? Until you get it fixed....
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Dec 19, 5:44 PM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 6,749 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    That is an extremely pessimistic point of view

I would simply state that I hit it reversing out of my driveway and hadn't bothered to have it fixed because I can live with it being like that.

When you hear about some of things other people do, this is total trivia in comparison.
    It is, but your (dishonest) explanation is no better than what actually happened and still doesn't address the point. The point is that you've had an accident and you're seemingly prepared to lie when asked the question at every insurance renewal. The chances of being found out are extremely small but the consequence can be very expensive indeed. You can always tell your insurer for information only and get the damage fixed privately.

Personally, given how much the cost will be to have it done privately, I'd just go through insurance, but of course it depends on what your excess is.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 7th Dec 19, 6:11 PM
    • 35,117 Posts
    • 29,798 Thanks
    custardy
    I don't see how I would be lying to them if I paid for it. If I had hit my own gatepost and paid for the repair they wouldn't need to know.

I have been driving for circa 45 years. I have 16+ years protected NCD.
    Just claim.
    For refernece. My partner @ 40 ish years old,10 year+ NCD wrote of our old Vectra hitting a wall with the rear quarter.
    Payout was circa 2k
    Insurance went up a couple of hundred in year one and about a hundred in year 2.
    Back to normal after 2 years.
    So your repair costs dwarf insurance costs in my experience.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 8th Dec 19, 8:21 AM
    • 11,853 Posts
    • 21,647 Thanks
    melbury
    Just claim.
    For refernece. My partner @ 40 ish years old,10 year+ NCD wrote of our old Vectra hitting a wall with the rear quarter.
    Payout was circa 2k
    Insurance went up a couple of hundred in year one and about a hundred in year 2.
    Back to normal after 2 years.
    So your repair costs dwarf insurance costs in my experience.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Really not worth claiming as I always opt for quite a high excess, so it makes sense for me to just pay this one and learn from it

• custardy
    • By custardy 8th Dec 19, 9:38 AM
    • 35,117 Posts
    • 29,798 Thanks
    custardy
    Really not worth claiming as I always opt for quite a high excess, so it makes sense for me to just pay this one and learn from it
    and now you see the folly of defaulting to high excess
    When you get enough years under your belt the low excess makes little premium difference IMO.
    Saves the grief if a claim arises
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Dec 19, 11:25 AM
    • 19,702 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    motorguy
    When you get enough years under your belt the low excess makes little premium difference IMO.
    Just to bring back the sense of perspective here - he can get the repair done for 400+VAT. Your car needed a 2000+ repair.

No need to claim through the insurance for that for what by your own admission would be a potential couple of hundred "saving" at most, and you still have to declare the claim for 5 years.

I personally wouldnt dream of putting that level of claim through my insurance.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th Dec 19, 11:33 AM
    • 35,117 Posts
    • 29,798 Thanks
    custardy
    Just to bring back the sense of perspective here - he can get the repair done for 400+VAT. Your car needed a 2000+ repair.

No need to claim through the insurance for that for what by your own admission would be a potential couple of hundred "saving" at most, and you still have to declare the claim for 5 years.

I personally wouldnt dream of putting that level of claim through my insurance.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    my total cost on claim,increase of insurance was less that 400+vat
    I stand by when you get enough years its not worth offsetting policy cost with high excesses
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Dec 19, 11:41 AM
    • 19,702 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    motorguy
    my total cost on claim,increase of insurance was less that 400+vat
    It may have been - but

(a) you cant guarantee it will be identical to the O/P
    (b) you cant guarantee that you or the O/P wont need to make another claim inside five years and thus more severely impact your premiums overall.

Having a marker on your insurance for 5 years and potentially impacting premiums for 5 years to save 100 odd does not seem like a good idea to me.

I stand by when you get enough years its not worth offsetting policy cost with high excesses
    Thats fine, however its not the situation the O/P finds themselves in and like the O/P i wouldnt be claiming for a 400+VAT repair cost anyway

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • melbury
    • By melbury 8th Dec 19, 1:44 PM
    • 11,853 Posts
    • 21,647 Thanks
    melbury
    Thanks for your replies.

Motoguy you are 100% right in that the actual saving would be 80, so just not worth the hassle.

My renewal premium was 154 and I would like it to stay at that level for as long as possible.

• melbury
    • By melbury 8th Dec 19, 1:46 PM
    • 11,853 Posts
    • 21,647 Thanks
    melbury
    Not really, I like low premiums

• motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Dec 19, 12:14 PM
    • 19,702 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    motorguy
    Actually I don't have to cope with such things atm since the car I drive usually is a rented range rover velar and all I have to pay for is this exact rent, nothing more.
    Originally posted by JustABit
    Perhaps when you're spamming in future you could take a few milliseconds and note what country you're spamming in?

This is a UK site.
    Last edited by motorguy; 09-12-2019 at 12:42 PM.

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 9th Dec 19, 12:16 PM
    • 26,420 Posts
    • 26,387 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Perhaps when you're spamming in future you could take a few milliseconds and note what country you're spamming in?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Who ever suggested spammers were bright?

BTW, at least mung the URL so that when the spam's inevitably removed, you won't be echoing it.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 9th Dec 19, 1:25 PM
    • 19,702 Posts
    • 12,361 Thanks
    motorguy
    Who ever suggested spammers were bright?

BTW, at least mung the URL so that when the spam's inevitably removed, you won't be echoing it.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Done.......

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

975Posts Today

6,726Users online

Martin's Twitter