Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glitzy
    • By glitzy 3rd Dec 19, 9:57 PM
    • 226Posts
    • 99Thanks
    glitzy
    PAC Error
    • 3rd Dec 19, 9:57 PM
    PAC Error 3rd Dec 19 at 9:57 PM
    I have managed to mess up with my PAC code. I ordered a new phone with MOBILES.CO.UK with Vodafone but my old contract is with Vodafone & I wanted to keep my old number. You canít just go from one Vodafone number to another you need to get a PAC code. My error was I didnít put the new Vodafone sim in the phone, instead I put the PAYG O2 sim & got a PAC code, but I still have 2 contracts with Vodafone, is the only option to get another PAYG sim?
    Use the PAC code I have now to go to new Vodafone sim, then PAC to new PAYG sim & then PAC to old number? Hopefully someone will be able to help a damsel in distress😂
    ....YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERY DAY ....
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 3rd Dec 19, 10:32 PM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 2,254 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 3rd Dec 19, 10:32 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 10:32 PM
    If you've got a PAC code for the wrong number, just ignore it. It'll expire after 30 days if you don't use it.

Make sure when you send a PAC text next time its on the account you want to transfer.
    • glitzy
    • By glitzy 3rd Dec 19, 10:54 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    glitzy
    • 3rd Dec 19, 10:54 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 10:54 PM
    Thanks, I think I have to use the PAC code as I cannot put a different sim into the new phone now.
    • Jon 01
    • By Jon 01 4th Dec 19, 7:44 AM
    • 5,415 Posts
    • 1,799 Thanks
    Jon 01
    • 4th Dec 19, 7:44 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 7:44 AM
    Thanks, I think I have to use the PAC code as I cannot put a different sim into the new phone now.
    Originally posted by glitzy
    Is this an iPhone?

If it is,then it locks to the first sim card used in it. Using the PAC won't help you in this case, you'd have to get the phone unlocked for it to accept another sim.
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 4th Dec 19, 12:02 PM
    • 3,404 Posts
    • 2,650 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 4th Dec 19, 12:02 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 12:02 PM
    Is this an iPhone?

If it is,then it locks to the first sim card used in it.
    Originally posted by Jon 01
    I don't believe that has been true for a number of years, I've switched SIM cards on a number of iPhones without problems.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 4th Dec 19, 3:31 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    sal_III
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:31 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:31 PM
    Is this an iPhone?

If it is,then it locks to the first sim card used in it. Using the PAC won't help you in this case, you'd have to get the phone unlocked for it to accept another sim.
    Say whaaaat?

Both me and the missus have been using iPhones for over 8 years, this is the first time i'm hearing about this. In the last 4 years I have been swapping SIMs on a spare iPhone 6 like candy.
    • d123
    • By d123 4th Dec 19, 4:38 PM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 5,274 Thanks
    d123
    • 4th Dec 19, 4:38 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 4:38 PM
    Is this an iPhone?

It was the CarPhoneWarehouse group that did this and they stopped doing it in 2016.

From the iPhone 7 all unlocked iphones will remain unlocked no matter what sim is used.
    ====
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 5th Dec 19, 12:26 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    mrochester
    • 5th Dec 19, 12:26 PM
    • 5th Dec 19, 12:26 PM
    It was the CarPhoneWarehouse group that did this and they stopped doing it in 2016.

From the iPhone 7 all unlocked iphones will remain unlocked no matter what sim is used.
    Originally posted by d123
    Mobiles.co.uk welcome pack states in the first sentence ĎIf you have purchased an Apple iPhone, please be aware that your phone will lock to the network of the first SIM card inserted.í
    • PHK
    • By PHK 5th Dec 19, 12:40 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    PHK
    • 5th Dec 19, 12:40 PM
    • 5th Dec 19, 12:40 PM
    It wasn't just Caroline Warehouse, but also Argos and John Lewis. It was because Apple would only supply handsets intended for contract.
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 5th Dec 19, 12:56 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    mrochester
    It wasn't just Caroline Warehouse, but also Argos and John Lewis. It was because Apple would only supply handsets intended for contract.
    Originally posted by PHK
    I believe it might only have been the Carphone Warehouse group that did this.
    • glitzy
    • By glitzy 5th Dec 19, 8:16 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    glitzy
    Thank you for all your replies, I have gone to carphone warehouse & it turns out I was doing it the wrong way🤦!♀️ I need to PAC my old Vodafone number to PAYG sim & then PAC that to new Vodafone number. I now finally understand that my old number moves along each time😂😂
    • PHK
    • By PHK 5th Dec 19, 9:44 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    PHK
    I believe it might only have been the Carphone Warehouse group that did this.
    Originally posted by mrochester
    Do a quick Google for something like "Argos SIM free locks to first SIM" (or John Lewis ) and you'll find many examples plus an explanation of why some retailers had to sell Network Subsidized handsets as SIM free. There are even threads on here!
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Dec 19, 12:35 AM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 5,274 Thanks
    d123
    Mobiles.co.uk welcome pack states in the first sentence ĎIf you have purchased an Apple iPhone, please be aware that your phone will lock to the network of the first SIM card inserted.í
    Only three years out of date, aren't they doing well?
    ====
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 6th Dec 19, 6:06 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    mrochester
    Do a quick Google for something like "Argos SIM free locks to first SIM" (or John Lewis ) and you'll find many examples plus an explanation of why some retailers had to sell Network Subsidized handsets as SIM free. There are even threads on here!
    Originally posted by PHK
    I wonder why these retailers simply didnít sell properly unlocked phones instead of network subsidised models? Three, Giffgaff and Curryís managed to sell fully unlocked iPhones.

The reasons Iíve seen online is that Carphone warehouse wanted to simplify its stock by selling the same iPhone SKU regardless of what network the customer is buying or if it was a sim free model. I wonder if there was a larger profit margin for CPW to sell their network subsidised stock as sim free (with the same potentially being true for Argos and JL?).

I can imagine the bad publicity they received for this practice caused CPW to change course.
    Last edited by mrochester; 06-12-2019 at 6:13 AM.
    • PHK
    • By PHK 6th Dec 19, 8:29 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    PHK
    I wonder why these retailers simply didnít sell properly unlocked phones instead of network subsidised models? Three, Giffgaff and Curryís managed to sell fully unlocked iPhones.

The reasons Iíve seen online is that Carphone warehouse wanted to simplify its stock by selling the same iPhone SKU regardless of what network the customer is buying or if it was a sim free model. I wonder if there was a larger profit margin for CPW to sell their network subsidised stock as sim free (with the same potentially being true for Argos and JL?).

I can imagine the bad publicity they received for this practice caused CPW to change course.
    It was actually a combination of factors, mostly though Apple would only sell SIM free through their own website and certain retail partners. Other retailers had no choice but to buy handsets that were intended to be sold with a network subsidy.

This also impacted areas like insurance replacement. Apple would refuse to work with some insurance companies (purely based on volume -you needed to agree to purchase a certain number regularly) . So insurance replacement handsets sometimes locked to the first SIM even if the original handset didn't.

This is why some insurance settlements were in Apple gift cards to buy a new handset.
    • mrochester
    • By mrochester 6th Dec 19, 8:39 AM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    mrochester
    It was actually a combination of factors, mostly though Apple would only sell SIM free through their own website and certain retail partners. Other retailers had no choice but to buy handsets that were intended to be sold with a network subsidy.

This also impacted areas like insurance replacement. Apple would refuse to work with some insurance companies (purely based on volume -you needed to agree to purchase a certain number regularly) . So insurance replacement handsets sometimes locked to the first SIM even if the original handset didn't.

This is why some insurance settlements were in Apple gift cards to buy a new handset.
    Originally posted by PHK
    Seems odd that CPW wouldnít be one of those Ďcertain retail partnersí given their size!
    • Lbj
    • By Lbj 6th Dec 19, 10:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Lbj
    I’ve has a similar problem. On 30 day sim only, got new phone via mobiles.co.uk, both contracts with Vodafone. Rang to get pac but you can only use that if switching to another network so I have to give 30 days notice, move my sim only deal to payg then submit a form to transfer my number. Not bothered about paying for the 30 days but got a new deal because my phone is broken and my number is now unusable for that 30 days!
    If I had been going to a new network I could have got a pac code, paid remaining balance and transferred straight away but effectively am penalised for staying with Vodafone
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Dec 19, 11:06 PM
    • 8,080 Posts
    • 5,274 Thanks
    d123
    Iíve has a similar problem. On 30 day sim only, got new phone via mobiles.co.uk, both contracts with Vodafone. Rang to get pac but you can only use that if switching to another network so I have to give 30 days notice, move my sim only deal to payg then submit a form to transfer my number. Not bothered about paying for the 30 days but got a new deal because my phone is broken and my number is now unusable for that 30 days!
    If I had been going to a new network I could have got a pac code, paid remaining balance and transferred straight away but effectively am penalised for staying with Vodafone
    Originally posted by Lbj
    Just put your old sim in the new phone for the 30 days.
    ====
    • glitzy
    • By glitzy 9th Dec 19, 12:02 AM
    • 226 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    glitzy
    Iíve has a similar problem. On 30 day sim only, got new phone via mobiles.co.uk, both contracts with Vodafone. Rang to get pac but you can only use that if switching to another network so I have to give 30 days notice, move my sim only deal to payg then submit a form to transfer my number. Not bothered about paying for the 30 days but got a new deal because my phone is broken and my number is now unusable for that 30 days!
    Originally posted by Lbj
    This has been my problem but carphonewarehouse said to buy a PAYG sim (different network) & PAC your number to that & then PAC to new sim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,088Posts Today

6,837Users online

Martin's Twitter