Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jon_Henley
    • By Jon_Henley 5th Dec 19, 12:09 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jon_Henley
    Furnished Holiday Let - Income allocation
    • 5th Dec 19, 12:09 AM
    Furnished Holiday Let - Income allocation 5th Dec 19 at 12:09 AM
    My wife and I own a FHL and I understand that as a qualifying FHL we are able to apportion income between us for tax purposes as we see fit in order to utilise lower tax rate allowances before higher on a pooled basis as far as FHL income is concerned. We have two children (under 18) which we could add as minority property owners (via a trust due to age of children), if we were to do this, could we allocate a portion of property income to them in order to utilise their tax allowances and allow them to build savings?
Page 1
    • Sibbers123
    • By Sibbers123 5th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    Sibbers123
    • 5th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    • 5th Dec 19, 7:18 PM
    No, this would be considered a parental settlement and even if the children owned the property, the income would be taxed on you.

Not to mention the CGT and SDLT on transfer to the children.

With FHLs, you and your wife can split the income on a just and reasonable basis in line with the respective effort you both put into managing the FHL.
    • Jon_Henley
    • By Jon_Henley 7th Dec 19, 7:17 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jon_Henley
    • 7th Dec 19, 7:17 PM
    • 7th Dec 19, 7:17 PM
    Thanks for the guidance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

894Posts Today

6,474Users online

Martin's Twitter