Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • katie4
    • By katie4 3rd Dec 19, 8:56 AM
    • 365Posts
    • 306Thanks
    katie4
    No proof of purchase for faulty tv argos
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:56 AM
    No proof of purchase for faulty tv argos 3rd Dec 19 at 8:56 AM
    I bought a tv from argos less than a year ago however it is shocking, it doesn't turn on half the time, the sound sometimes doesn't work its a panasonic so i assumed it would be good!

I cannot however find the receipt for it do i have any chance of returning /exchanging it without proof of purchase? or do i just give up an buy a new one?

Page 2
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 7th Dec 19, 7:59 AM
    • 5,246 Posts
    • 9,874 Thanks
    Murphybear
    The law (somewhat) disagrees with you ... a consumer only needs to provide evidence of purchase, they don't have to provide said evidence by way of a receipt. I'm sure guidance notes for the CRA 2015 also make this point, and specifically mention use of a bank or credit card statement.
    Originally posted by DoaM

According to our favourite person, Martin Lewis:

ď Yes and no. You usually only need proof of purchase when goods are faulty; so a bank statement or other proof can take the place of a receipt. If itís not faulty, you have no rights, therefore if store policy says a receiptís needed, itís needed.Ē
    • Nat25
    • By Nat25 7th Dec 19, 9:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nat25
    Argos Faulty TV
    Hi
    Can anyone advise me on my issue pls

I purchased a tv less than a year ago and returned this to your Coatbridge store on the 24/11/2019. I spoke with the manager (Stuart). I could not find my recipe of purchase and payed for the tv with cash. The manager (Stuart) said the could not exchange the tv or refund as I did not have my recipe that he would send the tv away for repair in which I was very happy with help he had given. The tv came back to the store today 06/12/19, the manager (Stuart) called me to tell me the tv has not been fixed as they could not source the part that it required. I asked what other options I had as I do not have a tv and have not had one since the tv broke and he said there was no other options for me that I had to come and pick the tv up from the store, I said I was not happy about this and he told me to take it a repair shop myself and get it fixed, I asked for head office phone number as I felt that this was unfair as he had sent the tv to be repaired without a receipt of Purchase how could he not offer me a replacement and he basically said he had lied on the repair note. I phoned your head office which was given to me by the manager (Stuart) at around 4.30pm and spoke to a lady called Yvonne who gave me a purchase ID number to take down to the store to collect my refund or a replacement in which I done after I finished my work at 5pm. I spoke with the manager (Stuart) and gave him the information that was given to me and went away to check this, sometime later he came back and said the information given did not match my tv. I said that I would call back into head office to see why this had happened as I wanted this sorted out just now he said to me itís 17.55pmand I finish work in 5 Minutes I wonít be dealing with this I replied Iím sorry but I want this sorted now as I donít have a tv he responded back to me if you do not leave my shop I will call the police in which I found very upsetting. My partner was with me and he did not like the threatening manner in which your manger had spoken and in a result of this they both exchanged words with each other.I managed to get through to your department in which I told the call handler what the manager (Stuart) had said to me and she called through to the store to speak with him and put me on hold, she then came back on the call to me and said she would look in this further and put me on hold for 50 mins and then ended the call without any help. I was still in the store when two police offers had arrived and came over to me to speak about the reason I was in the store. I explained the whole situation from start to finish, the police officer was with me when the call handler ended the call and advised me to call back to yourself to explain the situation.I can honestly say I have never experienced anything so mortifying and upsetting and embarrassing in front of the whole store of people. .
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Dec 19, 9:48 AM
    • 25,060 Posts
    • 14,525 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Hi
    Can anyone advise me on my issue
    Originally posted by Nat25
    Why are you naming people (repeatedly) here? There really is no need to identify the store or individuals in an internet post.

Why were the Police called to attend? I doubt this will have been done if you were behaving reasonably and calmly.

Clearly you have no proof of purchase (having paid cash) and so the store have sent it off for inspection/repair. The TV is obviously not economically repairable, but only the manager of the store can explain why the "purchase ID" you were provided with did not match the set you have given them. Is it a different serial number?

Are you certain you bought the TV less than a year ago?

Why is your post just a wall of text which is difficult to read?
    • Changeoffortunes
    • By Changeoffortunes 7th Dec 19, 11:55 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Changeoffortunes
    Do you have an email receipt ? I know that whenever I purchase anything from Argos they send my receipt by email and have done for quite a while now. Saves paper copies being lost.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Dec 19, 2:52 PM
    • 8,337 Posts
    • 8,154 Thanks
    DoaM
    According to our favourite person, Martin Lewis:

ď Yes and no. You usually only need proof of purchase when goods are faulty; so a bank statement or other proof can take the place of a receipt. If itís not faulty, you have no rights, therefore if store policy says a receiptís needed, itís needed.Ē
    Originally posted by Murphybear
    If you've bought in store then you have no absolute right to return anyway (unless the goods are faulty). If it's a change of mind return then you're bound by the store's T&Cs. Thus Martin is saying the same as what I was saying.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

773Posts Today

6,266Users online

Martin's Twitter