Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • minismith
    • By minismith 3rd Dec 19, 10:42 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 2Thanks
    minismith
    Continuous payment authority fraud
    • 3rd Dec 19, 10:42 AM
    Continuous payment authority fraud 3rd Dec 19 at 10:42 AM
    Firstly, thanks in advance for reading this post and for any advice with how to proceed.

I pay monthly in advance by continuous payment authority on my Mastercard credit card for a service. Payments are usually processed within office hours (9am - 4pm) and at the beginning of the month (1st - 4th depending on where a weekend falls).

Recently, the service provider initiated collecting December payments early (29th Nov) and outside of office hours (12:15am). Subsequently a little over 12 hours later, customers were informed by email that no further service would be provided. No further contact with the service provider has been possible.

For each customer, these monthly payments may be on average around 50, so are not a significant loss individually. However, it is possible that there may be 400 customers in total, representing a fraud of maybe 20,000.

What can the customers do to get their money back? Surely the service provider can't get away with it?
Page 2
    • born again
    • By born again 3rd Dec 19, 6:36 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    I pay monthly in advance by continuous payment authority on my Mastercard credit card for a service. Payments are usually processed within office hours (9am - 4pm) and at the beginning of the month (1st - 4th depending on where a weekend falls).

Recently, the service provider initiated collecting December payments early (29th Nov) and outside of office hours (12:15am). Subsequently a little over 12 hours later, customers were informed by email that no further service would be provided. No further contact with the service provider has been possible.
    Originally posted by minismith

Can I ask who this service provider is?

How do you know what time they process the transactions? As they will just be a payment process run.
    Given the 1st fell on a weekend. It would not be unusual to process on the last weekday of the month.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 3rd Dec 19, 8:14 PM
    • 14,213 Posts
    • 11,380 Thanks
    unholyangel
    The amount involved means that S75 wouldn't apply.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    While I think its likely you're right, might be worthwhile mentioning it would depend on what OP had purchased. If it was a longer subscription paid monthly or whether it was a monthly rolling contract.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • minismith
    • By minismith 4th Dec 19, 10:54 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    minismith
    Can I ask who this service provider is?

How do you know what time they process the transactions? As they will just be a payment process run.
    Given the 1st fell on a weekend. It would not be unusual to process on the last weekday of the month.
    Originally posted by born again
    The Service provider used an app for administration/payments/feedback etc.The times/dates of when payments were initiated were available on the app before it was shut down. It did occur to me that they could be just automated payment runs, but in over 4 years of the service. there has not been a month where 2 payments have been taken in the same month.
    • minismith
    • By minismith 4th Dec 19, 10:57 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    minismith
    While I think its likely you're right, might be worthwhile mentioning it would depend on what OP had purchased. If it was a longer subscription paid monthly or whether it was a monthly rolling contract.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    It was a monthly rolling contract so I guess Section 75 would not apply. In any case I have the money back on my card now. It will be down to the service provider to argue why he should keep the funds.
    • born again
    • By born again 4th Dec 19, 4:15 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    The Service provider used an app for administration/payments/feedback etc.The times/dates of when payments were initiated were available on the app before it was shut down. It did occur to me that they could be just automated payment runs, but in over 4 years of the service. there has not been a month where 2 payments have been taken in the same month.
    And who are they?????

What service do they provide?
    • Jumblebumble
    • By Jumblebumble 6th Dec 19, 11:26 AM
    • 490 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    Jumblebumble
    Thanks. Yes I intend to initiate this with Lloyds this morning. I read that banks are obliged to cancel the CPA too and can't refer customers to the service provider.

What about customers who have the CPA on a debit card?
    Banks still pretend that they cannot stop the CPA
    I got 60.00 compo from the last one that tried it on a few weeks ago by threatening the ombudsman
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 6th Dec 19, 2:22 PM
    • 25,060 Posts
    • 14,525 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    by threatening the ombudsman
    Originally posted by Jumblebumble
    You threatened the Ombudsman?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

848Posts Today

6,715Users online

Martin's Twitter