Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Borile_moto
    • By Borile_moto 4th Dec 19, 10:06 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bit of an odd one.
    • #1
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:06 AM
    Bit of an odd one. 4th Dec 19 at 10:06 AM
    I've been riding motorcycles now for over 15 years and also had a few 3 wheelers, but I recently passed my car test and I've been wondering about how long I put down I've had a 'full uk license' for.

    Having spoken to a few insurance companies about it, some say that they will take the 15 years, others say that they wont. Is there an industry standard regarding this or is it down to individual companies.

    I ask as for obvious reasons this makes a difference on the price on comparison sites, but don't want to waste people's time by having to get a quote only to find that they don't accept motorcycle experience for driving experience.
Page 1
    • nick74
    • By nick74 4th Dec 19, 5:24 PM
    • 377 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    • #2
    • 4th Dec 19, 5:24 PM
    • #2
    • 4th Dec 19, 5:24 PM
    I have always taken it to mean 'how long have you held a full UK licence for the particular type of vehicle you are attempting to insure?'. If some insurers are prepared to accept years on a bike licence when quoting for a car that's a bonus but I certainly wouldn't assume it's generally the case. I don't know of any industry standard covering this.
    • sal_III
    • By sal_III 5th Dec 19, 12:18 PM
    • 1,694 Posts
    • 1,560 Thanks
    • #3
    • 5th Dec 19, 12:18 PM
    • #3
    • 5th Dec 19, 12:18 PM
    There is no industry standard. Each insurance company is free to make their quotes based on whatever criteria they see fit.
    • garth549
    • By garth549 5th Dec 19, 1:33 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    • #4
    • 5th Dec 19, 1:33 PM
    • #4
    • 5th Dec 19, 1:33 PM
    Aviva just ask how long you've had a licence for (from provisional). Was great for my wife as she had her provisional for 7 years before she passed!

    I presume a motorcycle licence includes a provisional entitlement for a car?
    • Borile_moto
    • By Borile_moto 5th Dec 19, 10:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #5
    • 5th Dec 19, 10:34 PM
    • #5
    • 5th Dec 19, 10:34 PM
    Yes having a full motorcycle license does give a provisional car license, so fingers crossed my first car wont be a 500 rust box.
    Now with 30% more sarcasm.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

930Posts Today

6,728Users online

Martin's Twitter