Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dannydrock
    • By Dannydrock 4th Dec 19, 2:57 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Dannydrock
    Plumber caused damage to my ceiling and it fell!
    • 4th Dec 19, 2:57 PM
    Plumber caused damage to my ceiling and it fell! 4th Dec 19 at 2:57 PM
    Hi,

Im not sure this is the right place, but hopefully someone can help?

Recently our boiler/heaters broke and plumbers through our landlord came to repair it.

I came back from work, to find that as I entered my bedroom(which has the boiler in it) was being worked on by two plumbers. I noticed that towels were on my desk and asked what had happened, to which they explained that they had gone into the attic and while doing work, they had somehow broken a valve on the water tank, which caused it to leak. The leak was big enough that it was seeping through my ceiling onto my computer monitor/keyboard etc. They seemed calm and didnt tell me that they hadn't told my parents. They also stated it was safe and that they fixed the problem and is fine to sleep in the room.
    I went to sleep in another room(this was roughly 4pm), when I woke up at 9pm, they had left, and I went downstairs and talked to my parents.
    The plumbers hadn't told anyone about the damage and the crack in the ceiling, so my parents were nonethe wiser. They had also left a few hours before hand.

My parents phoned the landlord and we could see that the leak had also leaked into my sisters room, enough that it was dripping by the side of her bed, and into her laptop and into a wardrobe containing my mother's clothing(which was soaked).
    The landlord stated he would come the following day to check it out.
    Fast forward to 1am, I was fully asleep and due to go to work at 4am. I hear my sister screaming my name, so I jump up as I thought something happened to her or my dog. As I got up and ran to the door I noticed my ceiling had crashed onto my desk and towards my door.
    Had I not gone to sleep due to work, at 1am I am usually at my desk, it would have landed on me.

The damage was enough to knock all my shelves and my monitor and take roughly a 2meter by 1.5 meter chunk of the ceiling down.

The landlord came the following day and explained we need to go through our insurance.
    Does anyone know what we should be doing as I've never experienced any of this before and I genuinely don't know what I should be doing.
Page 1
    • Dannydrock
    • By Dannydrock 4th Dec 19, 2:59 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dannydrock
    • 4th Dec 19, 2:59 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 2:59 PM
    I should also add that had I not walked into my room, they probably wouldn't have told me
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 4th Dec 19, 3:13 PM
    • 8,337 Posts
    • 8,154 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:13 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:13 PM
    Rented property? You'll probably get better help on the Housing board.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Mishomeister
    • By Mishomeister 4th Dec 19, 3:33 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 203 Thanks
    Mishomeister
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:33 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 3:33 PM
    Well if you have a content insurance this may pay for the damaged items, however there will excess to pay and no claims discount lost.

The damage was ultimately caused by your landlords property by his chosen plumbers etc so it should be him compensating you including any temporary accommodation or any other reasonable costs.

As a compromise you may agree with him to pay for your insurance excess costs and any increase in premiums for a set number of years due to the claim, but as above technically onus is on him to compensate you whether directly or though his landlord's insurance.
    • red_boots2
    • By red_boots2 5th Dec 19, 1:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    red_boots2
    • 5th Dec 19, 1:03 PM
    • 5th Dec 19, 1:03 PM
    Try posting on the LandlordZone forum. They're usually really good with this sort of query, don't be fooled by the name it's for tenants too.
    • Potbellypig
    • By Potbellypig 5th Dec 19, 1:09 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    Potbellypig
    • 5th Dec 19, 1:09 PM
    • 5th Dec 19, 1:09 PM
    Hi,

Im not sure this is the right place, but hopefully someone can help?

Recently our boiler/heaters broke and plumbers through our landlord came to repair it.

I came back from work, to find that as I entered my bedroom(which has the boiler in it) was being worked on by two plumbers. I noticed that towels were on my desk and asked what had happened, to which they explained that they had gone into the attic and while doing work, they had somehow broken a valve on the water tank, which caused it to leak. The leak was big enough that it was seeping through my ceiling onto my computer monitor/keyboard etc. They seemed calm and didnt tell me that they hadn't told my parents. They also stated it was safe and that they fixed the problem and is fine to sleep in the room.
    I went to sleep in another room(this was roughly 4pm), when I woke up at 9pm, they had left, and I went downstairs and talked to my parents.
    The plumbers hadn't told anyone about the damage and the crack in the ceiling, so my parents were nonethe wiser. They had also left a few hours before hand.

My parents phoned the landlord and we could see that the leak had also leaked into my sisters room, enough that it was dripping by the side of her bed, and into her laptop and into a wardrobe containing my mother's clothing(which was soaked).
    The landlord stated he would come the following day to check it out.
    Fast forward to 1am, I was fully asleep and due to go to work at 4am. I hear my sister screaming my name, so I jump up as I thought something happened to her or my dog. As I got up and ran to the door I noticed my ceiling had crashed onto my desk and towards my door.
    Had I not gone to sleep due to work, at 1am I am usually at my desk, it would have landed on me.

The damage was enough to knock all my shelves and my monitor and take roughly a 2meter by 1.5 meter chunk of the ceiling down.

The landlord came the following day and explained we need to go through our insurance.
    Does anyone know what we should be doing as I've never experienced any of this before and I genuinely don't know what I should be doing.
    Originally posted by Dannydrock
    Whichever option you take, stick to the facts. Leave out any of the 'it would have landed on me' rubbish. Stick to what is broken from a contents side of things and your landlord should be fixing the ceiling, pronto too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

894Posts Today

6,474Users online

Martin's Twitter