Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • odalay
    • By odalay 3rd Dec 19, 4:03 AM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    odalay
    Google Pay fraudulent activity
    • 3rd Dec 19, 4:03 AM
    Google Pay fraudulent activity 3rd Dec 19 at 4:03 AM
    Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct forum but it relates to Google Pay and debit card fraud.

I recently discovered a fraudulent purchase from my Google Pay account and thought I would share to see if helpful to anyone and maybe someone out there has some advice?

It would appear that someone has been able to access my Google Pay UK account (which is linked to my Barclays debit card. I have never actually used Google pay, I may have installed the App briefly a few years ago and as I have a Google Play store account I'm assuming they automatically take your card details from there). The person who accessed my account added an additional delivery address and ordered a Google Pixel 4 mobile phone for about 700. My account shows as being accessed from three locations in northern France in the past few days and the phone was posted to a Carrefour supermarket in Italy in my name. I discovered this after logging into my Barclays account and seeing the amount in my list of transactions. Barclays have immediately refunded the amount fortunately, and replaced the card. I have also contacted Google and had little feedback as yet, but they did recommend I enable 2 step verification on my account and change the password which I have done, and have now disabled my Google Pay account.

Has anyone heard of this before? Maybe this is very common? Normally any purchases require the CVV code to be entered at purchase, any suggestions as to how they would have carried out this purchase?

And any suggestions as to how I can prevent the person collecting the phone, it's in my name but being sent to supermarket in Italy? Will they just walk in with a fake ID and walk off with a free phone?

Thanks for any info you might have.
    Last edited by odalay; 03-12-2019 at 6:35 AM.
Page 1
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 3rd Dec 19, 8:50 AM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 5,385 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:50 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:50 AM
    And any suggestions as to how I can prevent the person collecting the phone, it's in my name but being sent to supermarket in Italy? Will they just walk in with a fake ID and walk off with a free phone?
    Originally posted by odalay
    If you had the refund the phone is not your problem. Don't get involved.
    • born again
    • By born again 3rd Dec 19, 5:59 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    • 3rd Dec 19, 5:59 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 5:59 PM
    Pretty common.

Most likely you have responded to a email that has given away your details. As clearly the compromise is your google play account.
    • odalay
    • By odalay 5th Dec 19, 5:52 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    odalay
    • 5th Dec 19, 5:52 AM
    • 5th Dec 19, 5:52 AM
    Yeh ok thanks both for taking the time to read and reply
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 5th Dec 19, 7:38 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    sausage_time
    • 5th Dec 19, 7:38 AM
    • 5th Dec 19, 7:38 AM
    Don't reuse passwords between accounts, and set up 2 step verification on all accounts that support it.
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 5th Dec 19, 9:08 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 5th Dec 19, 9:08 AM
    • 5th Dec 19, 9:08 AM
    Don't reuse passwords between accounts, and set up 2 step verification on all accounts that support it.
    Originally posted by sausage_time
    I'd also recommend not saving card details on any website/payment service. It only takes a few seconds to type it in fresh when you actually want to make a purchase, and should save you the hassle of having your details getting compromised if the website/your accounts(s) get compromised.
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 5th Dec 19, 9:37 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 5th Dec 19, 9:37 AM
    • 5th Dec 19, 9:37 AM
    For a belt and braces approach, you can set up 2SV and add a google PIN as well.

https://support.google.com/pay/answer/7643912
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,039Posts Today

6,539Users online

Martin's Twitter