Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UnmyelinatedLop
    • By UnmyelinatedLop 4th Dec 19, 9:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    UnmyelinatedLop
    Missed initial notices due to address change, now being chased by debt collectors
    • 4th Dec 19, 9:18 PM
    Missed initial notices due to address change, now being chased by debt collectors 4th Dec 19 at 9:18 PM
    Hi everyone,

I collected some post today for my girlfriend from her old address, and she's found some distressing letters. For background - we moved into a new flat at the end of September/start of October. Changing the V5 paperwork address wasn't top of the list (I know maybe it should have been), but as a new build flat working full time, putting curtains up and getting a bed came first. We'd asked a neighbour to collect any post, and checked once a month since.

- Firstly a chase from Smart Parking dated 29/10, telling us that we had been notified on 08/10 for a contravention on 01/10. We haven't seen any sign of this first letter.
    - A Debt Recovery Plus letter dated 19/10 saying we should pay debt recovery plus 160 by 03/12.
    - A second DRP letter dated 29/11 saying to pay by 13/12 or they will advise their client to take legal action against us.

It's now 04/12, so I have about a week to figure out what to do. It's too late to challenge it (I think?), though if this first letter had appeared we may have been able to appeal in time.

- We have pieced together that I was almost certainly the driver, not my girlfriend who owns the car, and that I did pay 2 for 3 hours of parking.
    - The car park has a maximum stay of 3 hours.
    - Looking at my Google Timeline, I was parked for 3 hours 19 minutes. Annoyingly I left at gone half 10pm, when my car was occupying one space in an empty car park.

Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated - she wants to pay 160 to make it disappear but it feels so unfair and disproportionate, especially when an amount had been paid to park.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 4th Dec 19, 10:27 PM
    • 79,154 Posts
    • 93,009 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:27 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:27 PM
    she wants to pay 160 to make it disappear
    No, she doesn't, and she won't, because neither of you sound stupid! Spend that money on Christmas, family, fun or whatever floats your boat.

It's only Smart.

And it's only DRP, so read post #4 of the NEWBIES thread!
    A second DRP letter dated 29/11 saying to pay by 13/12 or they will advise their client to take legal action against us.

It's now 04/12, so I have about a week to figure out what to do.
    Anyway you re not actually parked for 3hrs 19 mins. You were on site that long, which is not parked.

Any scope for complaining to the retailer, or isn't there one? The NEWBIES thread tells everyone to exhaust that first, as the landowner can always cancel.

If that doesn't work, why doesn't she just use the PCN tear off slip to transfer liability to you at the new address, writing a herself 'from' the old address? It would mean telling Smart who was driving which is normally a big no-no but you sound more robust and won't pay it.

DO NOT CONTACT DRP - BUT YOU KNOW THAT ALREADY FROM THE NEWBIES THREAD.

And by Ms X (ostensibly 'at old address') transferring liability by naming the driver as Mr B (giving 'his' new address) then YOU will be sent your own PCN and it will rewind the clock to appeal. And your gf will be removed from the case entirely and you can try POPLA then happily ignore them if it doesn't work.
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 04-12-2019 at 10:29 PM.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,062Posts Today

6,634Users online

Martin's Twitter