Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mofi873
    • By mofi873 4th Dec 19, 6:17 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    mofi873
    TSB lost my data
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:17 PM
    TSB lost my data 4th Dec 19 at 6:17 PM
    Thread closed
    Last edited by mofi873; 05-12-2019 at 4:07 AM.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 4th Dec 19, 6:20 PM
    • 24,414 Posts
    • 27,220 Thanks
    zx81
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:20 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:20 PM
    It doesn't sound like a massive data breach methinks.

More that the storage system is confused. I would expect them only to exist as digital copies, but someone seems to be looking for physical documents.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 4th Dec 19, 6:34 PM
    • 11,918 Posts
    • 14,728 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:34 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:34 PM
    I asked them to check that they had all copies of my personal documents on my business account (it's a not for profit organisation with three other directors). They gave me a polite 'we take data protection seriously and can assure you your documents are safe'. But didn't answer the question.
    I took it to the financial ombudsman who said they don't see a data breach. I escalated the case and was told, my documents were in storage. I said I want to see copies. Today they have told me the branch I opened my business account has now closed and due to the Lloyds TSB split, it is likely that the documents won't be found
    Ok, somebody somewhere is lying because.......
    Firstly, my branch is still open and operating.
    secondly, I opened the business account in 2015. The banks split in 2013 therefore my business account was never part of the merged group.
    Originally posted by mofi873
    Their story does seem inconsistent - if you wish to pursue it further you could always send a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act, seeking information about (and/or copies of) the personal data they hold about you, which they're legally obliged to send you within a month.

https://www.tsb.co.uk/privacy/
    https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/your-right-to-get-copies-of-your-data/
    • mofi873
    • By mofi873 4th Dec 19, 6:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mofi873
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:41 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:41 PM
    Yes, I believe the copies were scanned and saved electronically, however they have gone from 'they are secure and safe in storage' to ' your branch has closed and you documents gone with it'.
    I just want a straight answer really.
    If they have been wiped/deleted then they should just say that, apologise and then we can all move on!
    • mofi873
    • By mofi873 4th Dec 19, 6:50 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    mofi873
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:50 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:50 PM
    Thanks eskbanker.....their privacy information makes very interesting reading.

I found this on Which.... which.co.uk (consumer-rights/advice/my-data-has-been-lost-what-are-my-rights). It states
    "A personal data breach is when personal data protected under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) data protection law is accidentally or deliberately destroyed, lost, altered, disclosed or accessed as a result of a security incident."
    • born again
    • By born again 4th Dec 19, 6:56 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:56 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:56 PM
    Well a data breech is when your data is available to others without your permission. Given they can't find the data, then that is not the case.

It could have been scanned to their system & or stored with a secure physical data center.
    I know from my role. Getting any paperwork back from these places is a nightmare. Especially when dealing with stuff from many years ago.
    1st you have to find which box it might be in, then the date it was sent and then hope that the 3rd party has not misfiled it..
    Or after 6 years destroyed.

As above is about your only hope that it might turn up.
    If not you are going to have to resupply the proof they need.

to be honest ombudsman is not the best to deal with data issue. You need the (ICO) data commissioner
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 4th Dec 19, 6:59 PM
    • 11,918 Posts
    • 14,728 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:59 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:59 PM
    Thanks eskbanker.....their privacy information makes very interesting reading.

I found this on Which.... which.co.uk (consumer-rights/advice/my-data-has-been-lost-what-are-my-rights). It states
    "A personal data breach is when personal data protected under General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) data protection law is accidentally or deliberately destroyed, lost, altered, disclosed or accessed as a result of a security incident."
    Originally posted by mofi873
    A personal data breach can take many forms so I'm not sure that's an accepted standard definition, or how it would help you even if it was?

Such breaches can vary hugely in significance, so if you supplied some ID documents and they can't find them then that would appear to be a breach of their responsibilities under DPA but that isn't necessarily a MASSIVE DATA BREACH unless, for example, they published your personal data on their website or left piles of papers on a municipal tip or sold it or allowed it to be accessed by third parties, etc.

If, for the sake of argument, they are unable to locate your documents for whatever reason, then what? If you're hoping/expecting the ICO or FCA/FOS to throw the book at them, don't build your hopes up!
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 4th Dec 19, 8:25 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:25 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:25 PM
    Yesterday there was a thread accusing Santander of having had a data breach.
    Today it is the turn of TSB.

The original situation is very odd to say the least. If you had previously changed your name on your accounts to your married name and the existing (lost) cards were in that name, it is very difficult to comprehend how TSB managed to issue the new cards in your maiden name. This would imply that the account(s) were still in your maiden name and the name on them had never been changed. When you contacted TSB about the error, they would have been able to see the name of the account holder. If the account holder was Mrs Jones, then there should have been no problem. If the account holder was Miss Smith, then this should have been apparent to you prior to losing your cards. Please don't tell me you don't know what name you were using on the account(s), what name appeared on your internet banking, what name was on your statements etc.
    I understand that the request to provide them with a second copy of your marriage certificate must have been annoying and come across as odd (it comes across as odd to me too) but I don't follow how you have interpreted this as a MASSIVE DATA BREACH.
    You can not have taken this to the financial ombudsman until you received a final response from TSB. What did you complain about exactly? What exactly was the response?

What are all these documents that you have provided to TSB in respect of your business account? Why is it so important to you that TSB have retained copies of them? Again, how does TSB's failue to retain such copies constitute a MASSIVE DATA BREACH?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 04-12-2019 at 8:29 PM.
    • born again
    • By born again 4th Dec 19, 8:42 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:42 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:42 PM
    Something that has just sprung to mind.
    Your old card was updated with your married name. Did you take your marriage cert to branch or send a copy in to them?
    How long ago?
    So they will/should have updated your account under your married name.
    Has any correspondence been in your married name?

So why is the account now back in your maiden name?

One thing I can think of is someone has updated the card name, but not updated account name. At some point someone has noticed a name error and corrected to acc name.

I know this is a aside to the data issue.
    But it could be the root cause of the issue.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 4th Dec 19, 9:22 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Ben8282
    WHY do they have to go back to the branch to produce their documents again years after the account was opened? This was NOT PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED. Pleas explain WHY this is now required?
    It is YOU who started asking about these documents and if they have to do this then it is a result of YOUR actions.
    So what if TSB have not retained copies of these documents. What does it matter to anybody? There is NO EVIDENCE of any data breach whatsoever. The documents could well have been shredded or otherwise securely disposed of.

As for your account suddenly reverting to your maiden name when the name was changed 9 years ago is a mystery and I can't even begin to imagine how this could have occurred.
    • born again
    • By born again 4th Dec 19, 9:29 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    Thanks for the answer.

This is getting confusing.

Are we talking a personal sole account or a business account that is the problem.

I take it that it was your sole bank account that you lost/stolen cards on and not the business account as well?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

954Posts Today

6,759Users online

Martin's Twitter