Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • st999
    • By st999 3rd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    • 1,281Posts
    • 697Thanks
    st999
    Halifax Reward, no 2 because no DD payment taken
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    Halifax Reward, no 2 because no DD payment taken 3rd Dec 19 at 1:18 PM
    I use my Capital One card to buy milk once a month to give me one of my 2 DDs to get my 2 reward from my Halifax Reward account.

However in October I was on holiday and bought my milk on the last day before my statement was due but it never appeared on that statement so no DD was taken.

So I have learnt a couple of things.

An active direct debit which is not collected that month will not get you your 2 reward and if your credit card statement is normally generated on the 18th of the month and you buy something on the 17th of the month it is not guaranteed that your purchase will appear on that statement.
Page 1
    • quirkydeptless
    • By quirkydeptless 3rd Dec 19, 2:07 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    quirkydeptless
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:07 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:07 PM
    I don't want to cry over spilt milk so I have 1 being DDed to two Savings accounts each month. Automation is the answer
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 3rd Dec 19, 2:08 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:08 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:08 PM
    If you use your CC to make a small automatic monthly top up to your Amazon account, you'll never have a month without a transaction...

...and you won't need to buy so much milk.
    • quirkydeptless
    • By quirkydeptless 3rd Dec 19, 2:55 PM
    • 398 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    quirkydeptless
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:55 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:55 PM
    If you use your CC to make a small automatic monthly top up to your Amazon account, you'll never have a month without a transaction...

...and you won't need to buy so much milk.
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    I'm already doing that trick for my Co-Op Rewards, hmm, come to think of it, they sell milk too
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
    • PRAISETHESUN
    • By PRAISETHESUN 4th Dec 19, 8:48 AM
    • 1,409 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    PRAISETHESUN
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:48 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:48 AM
    From Halifax: https://www.halifax.co.uk/bankaccounts/current-accounts/reward-current-account/
    A 2 monthly reward
    Get 2 each month when throughout the previous calendar month you:

pay in 750 or more and;
    pay out a minimum of 2 different direct debits and;
    stay in credit.
    If in any month you miss out on the 2 reward, don’t worry you'll still get free everyday banking, so long as you stay in credit.
    It's pretty clear that the DD needs to actually pay out every month... other banks might be okay with an "active" DD but as far as I know, Halifax has always required they actually pay out every month.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 4th Dec 19, 6:29 PM
    • 11,319 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    colsten
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:29 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 6:29 PM
    Can you not get your DDs to go out at the beginning of a month, rather than chance it for the last minute? Or buy your milk at the start of your CC month rather than at the end of it? All my Halifax DDs happen [to a savings account] on the 1st of a month, or the next working day if the 1st isn't one. I have never had an unpaid month, and I have held Reward accounts for years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

801Posts Today

6,619Users online

Martin's Twitter