Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • murrays2
    • By murrays2 3rd Dec 19, 6:26 PM
    • 110Posts
    • 13Thanks
    murrays2
    Debit card fraudulent transactions
    • 3rd Dec 19, 6:26 PM
    Debit card fraudulent transactions 3rd Dec 19 at 6:26 PM
    Hello all,

I noticed this morning two transactions from a company called WebTransact for 6.46 pounds.

I called the bank and they blocked the card and have reissued me with a new card. Thats all well and good but the bank have been unable to give me any further information.

They have said the only details they have is they are called WebTransact and it was an international payment.

I used a Danske bank ATM machine on Friday and withdrew 10 pounds. These transactions came out early Tuesday morning. I have only used this card in Asda and the Spar.

I gave my card details to Transunion to obtain my credit file. I bought gifts on Friday from Amazon but thats really the only time I have used the card.

I am at a loss as to how they even got my details. Don't they also need the CVC number to process transactions?

Worried this could happen again in the future, only next time for an even greater amount.
Page 2
    • Gohben
    • By Gohben 3rd Dec 19, 8:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Gohben
    Are you suggesting itís the same person making duplicate accounts? Or a bunch of people looking to smear Santander? You need throwing in the loony bin son!

Me and two others have had the same mysterious transaction at roughly the same time for a low amount, and the common dominator is using the same bank! Weíre allowed discuss it, now back to the matter at hand if anyone wants to discuss further!!
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 3rd Dec 19, 8:54 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Spoken to Santander again, much more helpful this time. Confirmed the payment has come from Nigeria. Real pain in the a*** now having to order a new card with new numbers and having to redo my card details on every single website.
    Originally posted by jlander99
    Do you have your card details stored on lots of retailer websites then? If I were you, I'd not change them until you actually visit them to make a purchase - less of a pain in the a***.

Been registered here for over 10 years, and started countless topics about a range of every day issues.

Hardly think two individuals discussing fraudulent transactions totalling less than 20 gbp is worthy of attaching a posting conspiracy to it.
    Originally posted by murrays2
    @Gohben and @jlanders99 are the two new posters - and it does seem 'odd', if not actually conspiratorial.

I don't have a Santander account (and never use my debit cards for anything) but can people confirm that international transactions actually show on Santander accounts with a transaction time - or are these just authorisation requests that have a time stamp?
    • born again
    • By born again 3rd Dec 19, 9:14 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    I don't have a Santander account (and never use my debit cards for anything) but can people confirm that international transactions actually show on Santander accounts with a transaction time - or are these just authorisation requests that have a time stamp?
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    It does not, at least not on mine. Took a while to find a card debit, not intl, but UK. so would fully expect a UK one to show more than a Intl.
    If they have spoken the Santander than they should have said what time the transaction was. Just to confirm that it was not the cardholder.

Anyone thinking that just joining and reporting fraud at any bank is going to smear them has to be joking given the amount of card fraud ALL banks suffer.

You see fraud at certain retailers in a short period of time then not again for ages. Just how the fraudsters like to get round the banks security system.
    Should be picking it up now and stopping more cards but no debits to show for it.

OP. No you do not need the CVV for all online transactions. It is up to the retailer on that.
    Last edited by born again; 03-12-2019 at 9:16 PM.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 3rd Dec 19, 9:42 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Right, so debit card authorisation requests will appear on an account in 'real time', but a cardholder would most likely only get that actual time information by speaking to their bank and it would not show on their account.

The actual clearing messages relating to those authorisation requests would be 'batch' processed through Visa/MasterCard and appear on an account when the bank accepts all of its interchange transactions from said payment schemes - and not at a specific transaction time - although I am aware of some seeming 'real time' contactless debits.

@murrays2, @jlanders99 and @Gohben, can you confirm whether the transactions have actually cleared or are just at the pending stage and that they showed with transaction times as well as dates?
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 3rd Dec 19, 9:55 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Ben8282
    OP. No you do not need the CVV for all online transactions. It is up to the retailer on that.
    Originally posted by born again
    Would I be right in assuming that an online/cardholder not present transaction originating in Nigeria with no CVV code could easily be charged back in the type of scenario posed by the OP?
    • jlander99
    • By jlander99 3rd Dec 19, 10:09 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jlander99
    Right, so debit card authorisation requests will appear on an account in 'real time', but a cardholder would most likely only get that actual time information by speaking to their bank and it would not show on their account.

The actual clearing messages relating to those authorisation requests would be 'batch' processed through Visa/MasterCard and appear on an account when the bank accepts all of its interchange transactions from said payment schemes - and not at a specific transaction time - although I am aware of some seeming 'real time' contactless debits.

@murrays2, @jlanders99 and @Gohben, can you confirm whether the transactions have actually cleared or are just at the pending stage and that they showed with transaction times as well as dates?
    Originally posted by Terry Towelling
    It hadnít cleared, it was still pending on my mobile app as was all the other transactions from yesterday. The transaction appeared as follows:

PURCHASE - INTERNATIONAL AT webtransact OF 12.49 USD RATE 0 ON 03 Dec 2019 01:05

Murrays2 private messaged me a list things he has used his card for recently and I think we have identified the source of the transaction.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 3rd Dec 19, 10:19 PM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Ben8282
    PURCHASE - INTERNATIONAL AT webtransact OF 12.49 USD RATE 0 ON 03 Dec 2019 01:05

Is that exactly how it appears on your Santander banking? Can you explain the rate 0 bit and the lack of a GBP equivalent? Do you maintain your internet banking with Santander in USD?
    Webtransact is a credit card processing company. How come this purchase is shown in their name and not in the name of the Nigerian merchant who submitted it? How are you aware that this transaction originated in Nigeria?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 03-12-2019 at 10:22 PM.
    • jlander99
    • By jlander99 3rd Dec 19, 10:45 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jlander99

Is that exactly how it appears on your Santander banking? Can you explain the rate 0 bit and the lack of a GBP equivalent? Do you maintain your internet banking with Santander in USD?
    Webtransact is a credit card processing company. How come this purchase is shown in their name and not in the name of the Nigerian merchant who submitted it? How are you aware that this transaction originated in Nigeria?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    1. That is exactly how to appears on my app. It also says above it that is is £9.69
    2. I have no idea what rate 0 means.
    3. I am not banking in dollars. I imagine the transaction was in dollars and the bank then calculated it.
    4. I canít really answer that. Just because a company exists of the same name doesnít mean itís that company.
    5. It was confirmed to me over the phone by Santander that the transaction was from Nigeria. Someone else in this forum has also confirmed they were told the same thing also.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 4th Dec 19, 1:25 AM
    • 4,405 Posts
    • 2,425 Thanks
    Ben8282
    1. That is exactly how to appears on my app. It also says above it that is is £9.69
    2. I have no idea what rate 0 means.
    3. I am not banking in dollars. I imagine the transaction was in dollars and the bank then calculated it.
    4. I can’t really answer that. Just because a company exists of the same name doesn’t mean it’s that company.
    5. It was confirmed to me over the phone by Santander that the transaction was from Nigeria. Someone else in this forum has also confirmed they were told the same thing also.
    Rate zero means exchange rate 0.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 04-12-2019 at 3:31 AM.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 4th Dec 19, 2:40 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Would I be right in assuming that an online/cardholder not present transaction originating in Nigeria with no CVV code could easily be charged back in the type of scenario posed by the OP?
    In theory (I believe) the transactions could be charged back whether they had a CVV2 or not. It is up to the retailer (and their payment processor) whether they collect the CVV2.

Many retailers questioned the point of the CVV2 if they could still be charged back even after collecting it and submitting it in an authorisation request. That was because they had been sold the idea incorrectly. CVV2 is not a guarantee against fraud for the retailer; it is simply another tool to help them evaluate the risk in accepting the transaction. I.e. no CVV2 means a higher probability of getting a chargeback for fraud, whereas a correct CVV2 means a lower probability of such a chargeback.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 4th Dec 19, 2:50 PM
    • 2,160 Posts
    • 1,803 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    It hadnít cleared, it was still pending on my mobile app as was all the other transactions from yesterday. The transaction appeared as follows:

Murrays2 private messaged me a list things he has used his card for recently and I think we have identified the source of the transaction.
    This might explain why Santander has not refunded anything yet. They would only do this after a transaction has cleared.

Full marks to you guys for being so diligent and going into your apps (or whatever) and spotting these transactions all at the pending stage.

Are you going to share the result of your investigations/private messages in case it helps any other forum users who have the same issue - and have you now concluded that it isn't a Santander data breach?

Do any of you have £ signs on your keyboards?
    • born again
    • By born again 4th Dec 19, 3:32 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 451 Thanks
    born again
    Unless the transaction has been through VbV then there is a chargeback right CVV or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,138Posts Today

6,724Users online

Martin's Twitter