Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wardrobe56
    • By Wardrobe56 4th Dec 19, 8:36 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Wardrobe56
    Cheques
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:36 AM
    Cheques 4th Dec 19 at 8:36 AM
    I have received a cheque made payable to ‘Personal Representative of .....’ 10 years after my partners death for overpaid mortgage interest. His estate was wound up over 8 years ago. Do I go to the bank and open an account to pay it in (I have copy of grant of probate stating I am his only beneficiary) or send the cheque back for them to reissue in my name? When I tried to ring up the mortgage provider they seemed a bit vague. The bank won’t pay it into my personal account.
Page 1
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 4th Dec 19, 8:37 AM
    • 5,191 Posts
    • 3,417 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:37 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 8:37 AM
    Send it back with a copy of probate.

How insensitive of the mortgage provider.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • Wardrobe56
    • By Wardrobe56 4th Dec 19, 10:01 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Wardrobe56
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:01 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:01 AM
    Thanks, yes I think it may be easier. It may take a while but considering I didn't even know about this money I can wait.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 4th Dec 19, 12:31 PM
    • 1,641 Posts
    • 2,122 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 4th Dec 19, 12:31 PM
    • 4th Dec 19, 12:31 PM
    I agree that is insensitive and clearly not thought out.
    If you do contact the mortgage provider again, ask if they have a bereavement team, though usually show a bit more imagination and sense
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

894Posts Today

6,474Users online

Martin's Twitter