Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DeepDish
    • By DeepDish 3rd Dec 19, 11:11 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    DeepDish
    Ryanair Won't Compensate Delayed Flight
    • 3rd Dec 19, 11:11 AM
    Ryanair Won't Compensate Delayed Flight 3rd Dec 19 at 11:11 AM
    Hello, new to the forum so hoping I'm posting in the correct place.

I had a badly delayed, around 7 hours, flight with Ryanair last week. As a result of the delay I missed my connecting flight so ended up paying for a new direct flight home from where I was stranded. I was under the impression I would get compensation for my delayed flight which would cover most of the cost.

Ryanair are saying I am not entitled to this as I did not fly on the delayed flight. I had checked in and actually boarded the flight originally before they put us off due a technical fault.

Does anyone know where I stand with this? Doesn't seem fair although I know Ryanair aren't exactly known for their customer service.
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 3rd Dec 19, 11:56 AM
    • 5,557 Posts
    • 5,569 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 3rd Dec 19, 11:56 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 11:56 AM
    Better asked on the 'Overseas Holidays and Travel Planning' board where there is a dedicated section for flight delays.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    • 8,337 Posts
    • 8,154 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:18 PM
    Ryanair are saying I am not entitled to this as I did not fly on the delayed flight. I had checked in and actually boarded the flight originally before they put us off due a technical fault.
    Originally posted by DeepDish
    I'm confused ... I thought the delayed flight meant you missed a connection? So you must have flown on the delayed flight? If you didn't actually take the (delayed) flight and bought a ticket with another airline (from the same airport from which the delay happened) then Ryanair are correct.

I think you need to explain your story more clearly.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • DeepDish
    • By DeepDish 3rd Dec 19, 1:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DeepDish
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:38 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:38 PM
    I was due to fly from Holland to the UK with a connecting flight in Dublin. I boarded my flight from Holland to Dublin but there was a technical problem so we had to get off the plane and were told we would be delayed several hours meaning I'd miss my flight back to the UK from Dublin.

I therefore managed to book a flight direct from Holland to the UK with Ryanair.

If I had got on the delayed flight to Dublin I would have needed to pay for a hotel there and flight home the next day.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 3rd Dec 19, 2:27 PM
    • 12,504 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:27 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:27 PM
    based on your follow up post I assume

As a result of the delay I missed my connecting flight so ended up paying for a new direct flight home from where I was stranded.
    Originally posted by DeepDish
    should have read
    "As a result of the delay I would have missed a separately booked flight so I chose not to travel and purchased a new ticket."

If the delayed flight was more than 5 hours delayed you should be entitled to a refund of your flight cost for the flight you abandoned (nothing for the separately booked flight you would have missed)
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 4th Dec 19, 11:49 AM
    • 8,337 Posts
    • 8,154 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 4th Dec 19, 11:49 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 11:49 AM
    If the delayed flight was more than 5 hours delayed you should be entitled to a refund of your flight cost for the flight you abandoned (nothing for the separately booked flight you would have missed)
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    Based on the latest info (which was why I asked) ... this is the correct answer. You're due a refund of the NL to Dublin flight, but nothing for the Dublin to UK flight as it was your choice to miss it.

(Even if you'd taken the delayed flight and missed the connection, Ryanair still wouldn't have been liable - they don't sell routes, they sell individual flights. That doesn't mean they wouldn't give a goodwill gesture, but they wouldn't be liable).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

801Posts Today

6,619Users online

Martin's Twitter