Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jules153
    • By jules153 4th Dec 19, 10:45 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jules153
    Italian speeding fine (600!)
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:45 AM
    Italian speeding fine (600!) 4th Dec 19 at 10:45 AM
    Hi, wonder if anyone can give advice on a speeding fine that was incurred on holiday in Italy?

Background:

Oct 2016 - went on holiday to Italy and hired a car

Feb 2019 - I receive a letter from a UK debt collection company stating I owe 600 to the Italian police (!!) but very few details. I sent an email asking for more info.

Aug 2019 - email from debt company states I was speeding in Italy and gave photographic evidence plus a scan of a letter from Italian police (dated 2017) with my address on it, but I had never received. The photo wasn't our car so I queried again!

Nov 2019 - correct photo now sent through... seems like I was speeding, fair enough. I asked why the fine was so high - they stated that lots of extra costs had been added since 'i had not paid the original fine'. I said that I had never seen the original letter.

Dec 2019 - debt company now send an email attaching a scan of the original fine letter. They explain that the letter was sent recorded delivery but I wasn't there to receive the letter so it had gone back to the post office. They say I would have received a card from the royal mail telling me to go to the post office and sign for the letter (however I didn't receive such a card). They then say that since the letter wasn't picked up from the post office it went back to Italy and the Italian Police started the process of debt recovery and adding all the extra costs.

I think the request for 600 is completely unfair, and with the latest email the debt collection company and actually admitting that I never saw the original fine letter.

It's worth noting that once the correct photo was sent through I stated that I would be willing to pay the original fine (150euro) but not these extra costs.

Any advice on how to proceed?

Many thanks!
Page 1
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 4th Dec 19, 10:48 AM
    • 4,287 Posts
    • 5,277 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:48 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:48 AM
    do you think the italian police will start a court claim , or ban you from driving ?

debt collectors cannot start court claims , file the letters and stop communicating with them
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 4th Dec 19, 10:49 AM
    • 15,976 Posts
    • 16,766 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:49 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:49 AM
    Try posting here:

https://www.expatforum.com/expats/italy-expat-forum-expats-living-italy/
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 4th Dec 19, 10:52 AM
    • 26,044 Posts
    • 42,361 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:52 AM
    • 4th Dec 19, 10:52 AM
    Ignore debt collectors, they can't do anything other than write to you. Your big mistake was engaging with them in the first place. They feel they now have their fish hooked and will continue to try to reel you in.

Do a forum search on <debt collectors name> keywords as we've had a few similar cases previously. But the reality of the matter is that this forum neither deals with speeding tickets, nor events outside of the UK.

HOW TO USE THE FORUM SEARCH FUNCTION:

Hit your 'Back' button to get back to the forum thread list. On the bar just above the threads you'll see the 'Search' function. Click on the 'Advanced Search' button and on the following page place your keyword(s) in the 'Search By Keyword(s)' and make sure the 'Show Results As' button (at the foot of the window) is changed from 'Threads' to 'Posts'.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day;
    show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

954Posts Today

6,759Users online

Martin's Twitter