Gambling website!

Hi, I need some advice really. Basically I am registered with Gamstop but stupidly came across a website that let me make an account without any verification. I deposited quite a lot on this but didn’t win anything. Once I had done this, it was only then that I saw that players in the UK are prohibited to create an account and play. Now I’m panicking thinking I’m going to be in some sort of trouble for breaking the T&Cs. Even though it says players in the UK can’t use it, it still allowed me to create an account with my address etc. The website was “Lord of the spins” and it says it operates under the government of Curacao. Does anyone know if this website is a scam? Would my bank potentially refund the transactions back to me due to it being a scam? Tia x

Comments

• cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 5,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    If you've willingly deposited money - played the games - and sadly not won anything - that's most likely the luck of the draw. Nobody has forced you to make the deposits - nobody has pretended to be someone to get your passwords - you've just done a google search - found a gambling site that would take your money and spent it, you've not read the terms and conditions (granted nobody does - but that's what they're there for) - so it doesn't look like a scam - more like you didn't follow their rules - deposited anyway and gambled it away. Therefore from my experience (I don't mind being corrected by others) you'll have lost whatever you put in. It's good that you've registered with Gamstop - but there are of course gambling sites worldwide that anyone can access (as you've found out) - not to sound patronising here - but have you gotten some advice and support in terms of this particular problem? I imagine it's been a problem previously hence your registration - how can you get yourself out of the cycle?
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • Labsuper
    Labsuper Posts: 266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    It's not a scam. You gambled and lost. There is a reason you have financial problems.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi, thank you both for your replies. I understand that, I’m more worried about getting into trouble with breaking the T&Cs with being in the UK? I’ve now requested they close the account and lesson learned! I’m definitely going to get seek more advice with my problem x
  • System
    Thanks for your reply! I’m definitely going to research gamcare and see what other support groups are out there. I had been doing so well previously! Do you think if I just have the account closed that will be the end of it and they won’t care that I broke the T&Cs?
  • gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 Posts: 5,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Several banks such as Monzo and HSBC have optional blocks on gambling transactions that you can switch on via their apps to prevent customers using their debit/credit cards for gambling related transactions.

You may want to switch them on at your bank.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 4 December 2019 at 3:06AM
    Who exactly do you imagine you may get in to trouble with? The Curacao police won't try to extradite you to Curacao.
    But I would imagine that if you had won the gambling website may have used this condition to prevent you withdrawing your winnings and told you that any disputes are governed by the laws of Curacao and the Curacao courts.

It is the players’ responsibility to be aware of and comply with national legislation within the players’ country of residence. In the event that a player registers an account with this website in a prohibited country then we are not required nor obligated to refund any funds deposited or wagered by the player. To provide specific clarity, this website prohibits registrations and/or use of this website in the following countries. Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Angola, Cambodia, Ecuador, Guyana, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Kuwait, Lao, Myanmar, Namibia, Nicaragua, North Korea, Pakistan, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, South Korea, Sudan, Singapore, Syria, Spain, Taiwan, Uganda, United States of America, the United Kingdom, Yemen and Zimbabwe.

If you had won and they were refusing to pay out I would be sympathetic because of the way that this information is hidden in terms and conditions and not made clear in a prominent place especially as the USA and UK are both included in the list and probably would account for most visitors to this website. But unfortunately you didn't win.
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As Ben282 says above, it's not clear why you're worried you broke the T&Cs. If you break, say, a bank's t&cs the worst that will happen is they close your account. And maybe freeze your funds.

But this isn't even a bank, it's a gambling site, Breaking the t&c s isn't a punishable offence. The t&c aren't laws. They're just rules - and if you've broken them they just won't want you back.They could freeze your funds but if you've gambled them away they have nothing to hold.

If you've no money left on the site then there's nothing they can do. And nothing for you to worry about.

Apart from your gambling habit.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you'd've won something and they were refusing to pay out then it'd be a different story entirely, but as it stands there will be no repercussions for breaking the T&Cs - since they aren't UK based there is little they could potentially do to you anyway short of closing your account (which you've asked them to do anyway).
  • System
    Hi thanks all for your replies. The account has now been successfully closed. I was worried with it being a different country, I wasn’t aware if they had different laws etc x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure