Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jamie4541
    • By jamie4541 3rd Dec 19, 7:50 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jamie4541
    Dispute with dealer
    • 3rd Dec 19, 7:50 PM
    Dispute with dealer 3rd Dec 19 at 7:50 PM
    New to posting so hopefully someone can help.

this is my first time in this situation.

I bought a car on the 12th of october 2019. it's a 2011 citroen c4. within the first month the car had a couple of issues, the engine feeling like its braking at around 60-70mph. this didn't happen all the time only intermittently and a leaking fuel injector.
    I rang the dealer explained what was happening and also told him about the leaking fuel injector on the 8th of november and he booked me in to get it fixed on the 14th.

picked the car up said it was sorted just replaced the injector and test drove the car all is fine.
    on the way home the engine felt like it was braking once again. I ring them the next day... "if it happens again give us a ring and we'll get it sorted the injector washer can just take a bit of time to settle in or sometimes a bit of air can get in there"

ok, car is all good until the following weekend where I'm travelling along the motorway and the car drops from 70mph to 45mph.

I called and asked for a refund, they basically said no. I sent them a letter rejecting the car. they didn't reply. so I rang them and all I get is "it's an old car you know, it's not a brand new car. we've been advised that we don't need to give you a refund only fix the issue"

today i took the car to citroen and it needs...
    a new turbo control valve
    timing belt
    water pump
    2 bald tyres (I understand this could be my fault)
    and a possible major service

if you've managed to read through all of that. what do you think my next move should be? or what would my chances be in court?

I am useless with cars and mechanics so I understand if this is a bit hard to read.

thanks guys
Page 1
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 3rd Dec 19, 8:04 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:04 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:04 PM
    Sorry but only one item on that list could be pointed at the dealer.

Timing belt and water pump are consumables. 10 year interval on most citreon or 75,000 to 100,000 on petrol engines and 150,000 to 160,000 on diesel engines.

The time to check tyres was before getting behind the wheel.

Servicing is part of owning a car. If it was due you should have negotiated it into the price.

That said your consumer rights give them one chance to repair and they have had it. Time to fix or reject.
    • jamie4541
    • By jamie4541 3rd Dec 19, 8:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamie4541
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:08 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:08 PM
    oh when I bought the car I was told it was in perfect working order and just had a service also

but thanks for the reply
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 3rd Dec 19, 8:22 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:22 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:22 PM
    So when does the service history state it last had a major service. A selling dealers service is likely to just be an oil change and if you are really lucky a new air filter.

If you want to reject it you need to stop driving it so have you tried to return it to the seller. Sounds like you will need to go to court to get your money. If you are not happy to go to court pay for the turbo valve to be replaced and sort the tyres then enjoy your car.

I would also be wary the garage you took it to are trying to drum up business with an early timing belt and water pump change.
    • jamie4541
    • By jamie4541 3rd Dec 19, 8:26 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamie4541
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:26 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:26 PM
    thanks for this.

I stopped driving it when I sent the letter of rejection and I think you're right with just an oil change.

Car didnt come with a service history. though I know I was stupid just going off a dealers word that the car was all good.

and I took it to a citroen dealer to find out the actual problem with the car as my local garage diagnostics machine didnt state the exact problem.

I have a feeling I'll have to go to court to
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 3rd Dec 19, 8:34 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:34 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:34 PM
    Buying an 8 year old Citreon with no service history was a massive gamble. Hope its not a 1.6 hdi which are notorious for turbo issues if not regularly serviced.

Given no service history and age I suspect this is a small independent dealer, no doubt a limited company who have not existed for long on paper despite being at the site for years. Have a look for the trader on companies House, if they fit my profile give up now. Such companies work on the basis they wait for the CCJs to mount up then close the company and reopen under a new company with the same premises, phone number and stock but no liability for past debts.
    • jamie4541
    • By jamie4541 3rd Dec 19, 8:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamie4541
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:46 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:46 PM
    100% right on all of it. �� Gutted. going to meet with a solicitor soon hopefully and see what they advise but you've been a great help
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 3rd Dec 19, 8:50 PM
    • 774 Posts
    • 571 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:50 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:50 PM
    Sorry to be right I learnt all of this the had way when I started driving only it was a Renault not a Citroen.
    • jamie4541
    • By jamie4541 3rd Dec 19, 8:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jamie4541
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:52 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:52 PM
    ah well. it's a lesson learned. thanks for the replies
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

883Posts Today

6,396Users online

Martin's Twitter