Debit card fraudulent transactions

Comments

• Spoken to Santander again, much more helpful this time. Confirmed the payment has come from Nigeria. Real pain in the a*** now having to order a new card with new numbers and having to redo my card details on every single website.
  • murrays2
    murrays2 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Jlander just had it confirmed to me as well that the payments were sent to Nigeria also.

Did you by any chance get a copy of your report from Transunion? It asked me for my card details and then gave me my report.

I also used Amazon on Friday night.

Interesting this has happened to both of us at the same time. Is this a case of a Santander breach? Are we at the banks mercy?

Suppose we are lucky it was for small values and we will get it back. You are right its a pain we have to be issued with new card details when clearly it isn't our fault.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jlander99 wrote: »
    Spoken to Santander again, much more helpful this time. Confirmed the payment has come from Nigeria. Real pain in the a*** now having to order a new card with new numbers and having to redo my card details on every single website.
    If you have your card details stored on lots of websites then it may not be a coincidence that there's been an unauthorised transaction....
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,416 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Gohben wrote: »
    there had clearly been a Santander data breach!!!

Spent the last 30 mins worried what compromising action I had taken until I found this thread - annoying still going to be a huge inconvenience getting a new card issued when no fault of my
    Own!!!!

One thing it won't be is a bank compromise... Would rule out Amazon as well.

One reason I recommend to always have more than 1 bank account or at least a credit card to fall back on.

Every time you use your card your card details (16 digit number) are retained.

Far more likely to be a retailer you have used your card at.
    Think of the likes of the BA compromise of card details. For everyone that makes it to the public domain. There are far more that are waiting to be found. Never mind the ones that the retailers fail to report.. And there have been a few that have denied it despite the number of reports that they have been compromised. As they do not want to be fined for their security short comings.

My advise to customers is not to worry. Nothing you have done has caused this and no matter how careful you are it can happen to you. Even people who work in card fraud teams suffer fraud...
    Life in the slow lane
  • Murrays2, I haven’t heard of Transunion so it wouldn’t be that. We could sit here all day listing off things we’ve used our card for recently, there may be a lot that matches but the problem is it could be a website we’ve used years ago that has just been compromised recently.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Now why do I find it just a little bit odd that two individuals both who bank with Santander have signed up to this forum to start 'me too' discussions on this thread?
  • What are you on about?!
  • murrays2
    murrays2 Posts: 133 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Been registered here for over 10 years, and started countless topics about a range of every day issues.

Hardly think two individuals discussing fraudulent transactions totalling less than 20 gbp is worthy of attaching a posting conspiracy to it.
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    Gohben wrote: »
    Same here. Santander banker

Webtransact USD $7 payment when I was fast asleep at 22:50 last night, there had clearly been a Santander data breach!!!

Spent the last 30 mins worried what compromising action I had taken until I found this thread - annoying still going to be a huge inconvenience getting a new card issued when no fault of my
    Own!!!!
    No there has not clearly been a Santander data breach.
    murrays2 wrote: »
    Been registered here for over 10 years, and started countless topics about a range of every day issues.

Hardly think two individuals discussing fraudulent transactions totalling less than 20 gbp is worthy of attaching a posting conspiracy to it.
    You have. They havn't.
  • Are you suggesting it’s the same person making duplicate accounts? Or a bunch of people looking to smear Santander? You need throwing in the loony bin son!

Me and two others have had the same mysterious transaction at roughly the same time for a low amount, and the common dominator is using the same bank! We’re allowed discuss it, now back to the matter at hand if anyone wants to discuss further!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure