Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 3rd Dec 19, 11:59 AM
    • 257Posts
    • 2,491Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    Eco friendly Christmas crackers
    • 3rd Dec 19, 11:59 AM
    Eco friendly Christmas crackers 3rd Dec 19 at 11:59 AM
    I always buy the Christmas crackers for our family Xmas dinner but really don't want to this year: at least a fiver for plastic tat and a tissue paper crown that rips within seconds and the whole lot in the bin at the end! I broached the subject with DD, who hosts, and while on the same page eco wise, she said why don't we, (meaning me!) look at environmentally friendly alternatives. Buying them is really expensive so I am looking for ideas - has anyone made their own and can pass on any tips? Thanks
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Dec 19, 12:10 PM
    • 67,530 Posts
    • 395,524 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:10 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:10 PM
    What do you get from them?

Do you need them at all, or are they just a pricey way to get a paper hat to wear? Could just make the paper hats and plonk them on plates.

Do you need to have them cluttering up the table at all? Is the 'pulling' an awkward nuisance really? Do people really read the jokes? Do they keep/use the gifts?

What are your crackers for?
    • Nonnadiluca
    • By Nonnadiluca 3rd Dec 19, 12:40 PM
    • 257 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Nonnadiluca
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:40 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:40 PM
    My point exactly! However, DD and GSs would like to have something so we had a chat and I am looking into maybe a box, or paper or fabric parcel, with jokes, home made hats and chocolates. I thought I would put everyone's names on them so they will double up as place settings.
    Thanks for your input, it made us focus on what we want and we've got a good idea of what to do now: I feel a new family Xmas tradition in the air!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 3rd Dec 19, 12:52 PM
    • 7,831 Posts
    • 11,680 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:52 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 12:52 PM
    Kitchen roll tube and crepe paper/wrapping paper.

You can buy the 'snap' parts individually.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/10-Standard-Cracker-Snaps-Christmas/dp/B07K1PP35F/ref=asc_df_B07K1PP35F/?!!!!!googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366487933109&hvpos=1o1&hvne tw=g&hvrand=2896748616595733810&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hv qmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046527& hvtargid=pla-834417708681&psc=1

other places might be cheaper. Just make sure theyre attached to the handles (that youve made) and not the toilet roll tube otherwise they might not snap.
    Don't be angry!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

848Posts Today

6,715Users online

Martin's Twitter