Smoking in the kitchen

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    While I do think your house your rules, that depends on who the family members are - ie spouse & child where its their home too despite not contributing to bills or siblings/cousins who are only supposed to be staying temporarily.

That being said, I smoked years ago and would never have smoked in the kitchen (or bathroom for that matter). I do second what others have said about it coating stuff. Take a steam cleaner to it or use a diluted bleach spray and it will show just how coated everything gets.

I'm not one of the ex-smokers who hate it though. I don't enjoy the smell of it but it doesn't bother me when friends/family smoke.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sure there are worse things lying around the kitchen than smoke.
  • kev_min
    kev_min Posts: 160 Forumite
    Your house, your rules..if they dont like it they can go do one!

Kinda reminds me of the time i was giving one of my sisters a lift somewhere and she complained about me having a `puff in my car...she got given two options..shut up or get out and walk....
    At times any combination of my spelling, grammar or punctuation may be incorrect. Please do not pick me up for this as, after all, it is only an internet forum.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Brexit and anti smoking are the new cults/religions now.

It allows some of those with low self esteem to pretend they have power over everyone else. They don't.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    melanzana wrote: »

I don't think anti smoking is a 'new' anything.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post

Originally posted!by!melanzana

Is it? My other half smoke but outside. Always outside whatever the weather. He will smoke in others houses if they do and he is invited.

But not ours. Not anti smoking either. Just prefer my walls white and the house to smell fresh rather than of lingering nicotine
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I think I'd find smoking in the bathroom a more acceptable place than the kitchen.

Eeewww, no.!

There is an even worse kind of nastiness when smoking in a bathroom, the water does something to the smell that makes it cling to everything even more that elsewhere and the stench is disgusting. You get out of a bath/shower nice and clean and the smell grabs everything. Foul, foul, foul.

I hate with a passion going into toilets where someone has been smoking kit makes me feel physically sick.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    onasc wrote: »
    Am I right to smoke in my kitchen, in a house where I pay all bills, buy all food and clean? The house is also in my name, as are all the bills.
    I have two family members living with me and they are both adults. They complain about my smoking in the kitchen and my answer is: my house, my rules. If you don't like it, find a better deal.
    I was told I am being unfair. Am I right?

Smoking inside a house is disgusting because it makes everything smell and go off colour. I don't think you should ever smoke in a house and should always smoke outside.

I don't think it matters if it's your house or not it's about being considerate to the people you live with. If you don't care about how your family members feel by your actions then that says a lot about the type of person you are.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Eeewww, no.!

There is an even worse kind of nastiness when smoking in a bathroom, the water does something to the smell that makes it cling to everything even more that elsewhere and the stench is disgusting. You get out of a bath/shower nice and clean and the smell grabs everything. Foul, foul, foul.

I hate with a passion going into toilets where someone has been smoking kit makes me feel physically sick.

I was thinking fully tiled, nicotine not seeping into the walls.
    Maybe I'm wrong and you're right.
    It really was just a snapshot observation.

I can't recollect going into a toilet where someone has been smoking for many years.
  • AylesburyDuck
    AylesburyDuck Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    onasc wrote: »
    Am I right to smoke in my kitchen, in a house where I pay all bills, buy all food and clean? The house is also in my name, as are all the bills.
    I have two family members living with me and they are both adults. They complain about my smoking in the kitchen and my answer is: my house, my rules. If you don't like it, find a better deal.
    I was told I am being unfair. Am I right?
    Most definitely your house your rules, your all adults and they are lucky you confine it to the kitchen, your house so you could effectively smoke where ever the hell you wanted.
    If they contribute nothing to the house (you say you pay all bills) then frankly its a case of they have zero say in anything you do, and if they dont like it ask them to jog on!
    Even family have no right to sponge off someone while dictating how someone should live , how entitled are they!!:eek:
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure