DMP mutual support thread part 13 !!

Options

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks as always, Suseka:T
    I wanted info on a variety of things, unfair charges and possible PPI being 2 of them. The reason I've held off for so long is exactly the same as your reason for dissuading your OH to do it. To let sleeping dogs lie is so tempting but the PPI deadline is too:eek:. I may potentially have a lot of money due, something tells me I definitely had PPI on the UE one. I had a credit limit of £13K on that one, used to the max for about 15 years:o. The CCA paperwork for the other one didn't show anything though.

Wow - that does sound promising and I can totally understand why you're keen to find out more. Well, go for it then and good luck :)
  • Australiana
    Options
    Thank you Suseka! That is very helpful. As you say, I probably have to sit down and balance out my options but at present I am really thinking that focusing on being debt free is the most important and the DMP is my best way to get there. I am still making payments on my overseas debts, and given I can't 'DMP' them, the extra cash I have coming in in March/April is probably best put on them (or put towards an emergency fund). I think part of what I need to do is try to simplify my financial life by not having debts in three different countries any more. The DMP would be very helpful with that.

Thanks again for the forum's advice!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Suseka97 wrote: »
    Wow - that does sound promising and I can totally understand why you're keen to find out more. Well, go for it then and good luck :)

I need to weigh up whether what I might get back in PPI is likely to outweigh the current outstanding balance of my debt. At the moment it's somewhere around £5.5k and I haven't factored it into my current payable debt balance as I've no intention of paying it because it's UE;).

Any award I get will be deducted from the outstanding debt balance, that's how these people work:(. I don't want to be left with several thousand still owing and them revitalised to produce compliant paperwork. It's a dilemma alright:(.

To add to my initial query on the earlier post, is a SAR the way to go with this?
  • clausentum
    Options
    Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!
  • clausentum
    Options
    Great advice, thank you so much.
  • DannyPearce90
    Options
    Yes, top notch support on here to be fair.
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    I need to weigh up whether what I might get back in PPI is likely to outweigh the current outstanding balance of my debt. At the moment it's somewhere around £5.5k and I haven't factored it into my current payable debt balance as I've no intention of paying it because it's UE;).

Any award I get will be deducted from the outstanding debt balance, that's how these people work:(. I don't want to be left with several thousand still owing and them revitalised to produce compliant paperwork. It's a dilemma alright:(.

To add to my initial query on the earlier post, is a SAR the way to go with this?

Hi cbc,

You got me confused with this.... If it is of no financial benefit to you as you wouldn't actually receive the money and the debt is UE why do you want to make waves?? Sorry just got confused....!!

Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Puzzcat wrote: »
    Hi cbc,

You got me confused with this.... If it is of no financial benefit to you as you wouldn't actually receive the money and the debt is UE why do you want to make waves?? Sorry just got confused....!!

Puzz. x

Sorry for confusing you, Puzz. I confuse myself all the time:rotfl:

They say it is UE 'at present' and I fear that should I start them off searching for more information they may actually find compliant paperwork which will prove the debt is enforceable after all. That's what I meant but didn't explain very well.

I've found out from experience that when PPI redress is given and there is still money owing on the debt they take the PPI payment as part payment towards the debt and don't send it winging it's way to the current account:eek:. I know it's the same thing really, if it lessens the outstanding debt all well and good. In this case though I'd be very annoyed that not only had they found compliant paperwork to make the debt enforceable after all but whatever they award me for the PPI, if smaller than the outstanding debt balance when deducted off that debt balance, would still leave me owing them money. As it is, by letting sleeping dogs lie I'm not going to pay anything off that debt. They haven't come up with the paperwork after over 18 months but who's to say that they can't once there's the prospect of having to pay out a few thousands in PPI.

• Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Sorry for confusing you, Puzz. I confuse myself all the time:rotfl:

They say it is UE 'at present' and I fear that should I start them off searching for more information they may actually find compliant paperwork which will prove the debt is enforceable after all. That's what I meant but didn't explain very well.

I've found out from experience that when PPI redress is given and there is still money owing on the debt they take the PPI payment as part payment towards the debt and don't send it winging it's way to the current account:eek:. I know it's the same thing really, if it lessens the outstanding debt all well and good. In this case though I'd be very annoyed that not only had they found compliant paperwork to make the debt enforceable after all but whatever they award me for the PPI, if smaller than the outstanding debt balance when deducted off that debt balance, would still leave me owing them money. As it is, by letting sleeping dogs lie I'm not going to pay anything off that debt. They haven't come up with the paperwork after over 18 months but who's to say that they can't once there's the prospect of having to pay out a few thousands in PPI.

If I was you, I would just leave it CBC. As you say, don't want to make waves and make them come up with some paperwork you don't really want.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• Dreamer29
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My husband and I have both just filled in a DMP with SC and have signed all the paperwork etc, sent the letters to the creditors explaining we are talking to SC. We are now bother just waiting to hear back from SC in regards to the DMP starting but just needed some advice please.

How long after a DMP is started do SC take your first payment, will it be February or is it more likely to be March.

Have we made a mistake in getting DMPs set up prior to the accounts defaulting, should we have done it the other way around?

We are both already feeling better that we’ve made the first step but my anxiety means that I’m still worried that until SC confirm the plans are running that for some reason they may say that we can’t do the or something will go wrong. Thank you in advance for any advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback