SOA and advice

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    DMc92 wrote: »
    I’m new to the forums and have input below a Statement of Affairs for my current financial situation

Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 0

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1515
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 1515

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 311
    Rent.................................... 200
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 0
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 0
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 60
    TV Licence.............................. 0
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 160
    Clothing................................ 16
    Petrol/diesel........................... 100
    Road tax................................ 4.16
    Car Insurance........................... 33
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 1.66
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 20
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 91
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 12.5
    Haircuts................................ 10
    Entertainment........................... 20
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Overdraft interest ..................... 70
    Personal Trainer........................ 80
    Gym..................................... 16
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1205.32

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 1
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 1

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 0........(0)........0
    Secured Debt.................. 1394.....(124)......6.5
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 7106.....(187)......0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 8500......-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Credit card ...................495.......337.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........495.......337.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,515
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,205.32
    Available for debt repayments........... 309.68
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 337
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -27.32

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 1
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -8,500
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -495
    Net Assets.............................. -8,994

I currently have an overdraft of £4500 which is my ultimate priority to pay off in order to apply for a mortgage for me and my partner next year. Any advice/constructive criticisms are welcome! Also see my new diary in the sub thread for better details of the overall picture. For clarity, I live with family and only pay rent plus food bills - occasionally cover electricity, council tax if required.
    If 160 is food just for you that is too high. Look for ways to cut back. Whilst I appreciate the personal trainer is something you don't want to give up you can't afford it whilst you are also paying out for a private hearing aid and contact lenses. Why do you have HP and a secured loan? What are those for ? Presumably one is for the car?

You need to address the overdraft as £70 a month is a big chunk of your monthly budget. Do you need the car or could you do without it? The lending on HP and secured loan is 20% of your wages so with that, the overdraft and spending on credit card you are quickly escalating into a debt spiral. The only way out of that is to stop spending anything unnecessary so the PT sessions should go or be reduced at least and the food could be cut down by meal planning and taking food to work.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    As an obvious point, the £337 payment on a £450 credit card is clearly over the minimum repayment. Is this a card that you pay off in full each month? In which case I wouldn’t include it - you might be double counting the card payment and the expenses you put on it.
    DMc92 wrote: »
    Yeah, I pay off the credit card in full each month. But I always seem to end up reaching for it before payday. It’s a terrible cycle and one I need to kick.

Exactly - what spending are you putting on the card? Look through the past few months statements. You are clearly spending more than in your SOA, by hundreds of pounds. If you stuck to the figures in your SOA, even without cutting down your personal trainer time, you would be climbing out of debt and able not to reach for the card at all.
    For me, the first step is always information - where has the money been going? Then decide what you are going to stop.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • kangoora
    kangoora Posts: 1,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Frankly, paying someone £80/month as a personal trainer when you only have £1500/month income is crazy. That's over 5% of your income going on a pure luxury. Also, reducing your phone bill to a £10/month SIM would save another £50. Looking at it another way, you then only need to find another £20/month saving and that will be like getting a 10% pay rise.........

Cut the personal trainer. It's just a job to him/her and they must have it all the time. You know what to do now, you shouldn't need to pay someone to tell you to work out, work harder or get fitter.

It's no different to paying someone to cut your lawn, you don't keep paying them if you decide to do it yourself.
  • ohdearhowdidthathappen
    Options
    My tuppence worth...
    Food - if just for you, you could reduce this
    Mobile - SIM only deal would save you £50pm
    Personal trainer - needs to go
    Car - can you trade in for something cheaper?
    Loan - what is it secured on, if you're renting?
    I'd keep a spending diary to work out where your money is going. It's boring, but effective. You need to throw every spare penny at the overdraft to get that down. Is there interest to pay on it, if so, can you put it on your 0% credit card until it's paid off?
    I think it's a big shame you're having to pay for hearing aids and that NHS ones aren't fit for purpose, you'd think they'd be able to get them at a good rate from one of these private firms to offer on NHS
    Debt - Car loan £19k. New savings goals: Emergency fund £1000/£1000, FFEF £200/£10000
  • PSYCHIC_SUE
    Options
    I would look at your debts and see if you can get a better deal interest wise to repay them.
    Also you say £160 a month on groceries. I seriously wonder how you mange on this low amount.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I
    Also you say £160 a month on groceries. I seriously wonder how you mange on this low amount.

That's about what we do, without scrimping at all
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would look at your debts and see if you can get a better deal interest wise to repay them.

Go to the Old Style page of the forums and you will be able to learn a lot about cutting grocery spending. https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=33
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How bad is your hearing loss. Could you qualify for a baha or cochlear implant.

Also if the money is based on two of you why is there no money for partners income.

If you have trained with personal trainer for a while surely you know what you should be doing so you can do the exercises yourself.

Do you watch tv at all as there’s nothing g for tv licence or tv packages
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »

Do you watch tv at all as there’s nothing g for tv licence or tv packages

As she lives with family I assume they are paying that. I also assume that is why there is no partners income as they don't live together. Not sure why she has put 2 people on the soa though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DMc92
    DMc92 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,

£160 for groceries is for two of us. To make it absolutely clear, I live with my sister in her flat. I pay her £200 rent a month and take care of the food bill, and she pays other bills, council tax and so on.
    The cutting the phone bill and PT are both points I am seriously considering. Spending to be honest, is either on food or entertainment- I know neither is necessary at that level and am aware of needing to cut this out.
    I do need my car - the petrol quoted in the SOA is the minimum amount for commuting to
    work but I also travel to visit family who live further away. And train tickets are not cheap for those journeys.
    The car is the Hire Purchase. The Loan was for postgraduate study. I recently received a statement and the amount left is much lower than calculated so I will update this in the SOA.

I think I said in a previous I will revise my SOA going on advice provided, I have some loans in the incorrect category. Hopefully the new version will give a clearer picture.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure