Help: Tax Return First Timer

Hi

Any advice here would be appreciated. I am filing a Tax Return for the first time for 2017/18. I started a hobby business last year and would be declaring total takings of £195...however the expenses for set up costs were much higher - would HMRC be understanding if I deferred this until next year when I have more profit to declare?

Other self-employment total is a low income of £1500 thereabouts with no expenses to declare after leaving paid employment in June 2017....I am guessing this is what they want to know more about? Or would they rather I just declare this next year too?

I have started filling in the Self Assessment and the final calculation is that HMRC owe me £1!!?? I can't see the point of spending more of my time, or HMRCs time, in processing my form for such small amounts? But I don't want to cause any confusion/trouble by not doing so.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you :-)

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You can't just declare income/expenses "next year" - a tax return is for a specific year. If your expenses exceed income in a particular tax year, then you report a loss for that year, and claim loss relief as per their rules, including possibly carrying it forward against a future profit.
  • Ok great, thanks for the advice, I have been getting confused with previous advice I've received but you've explained it clearly to me now I know what to do going forward
  • Wenlock
    Wenlock Posts: 184 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Good advice from Pennywise regarding your self-employment.

You probably know this but just in case - don’t forget that as this Return covers the tax year starting on 6 April 2017 you must complete the Employment pages to declare the pay received and any tax deducted by your employer in the short period up to June 2017.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure