Kitchen Cupboards in dining room?

Hi all

So I'm getting a new house and it needs a new kitchen. Because of my extra white goods (dishwasher and tumble dryer) the kitchen cupboard space is limited. I was going to knock through the kitchen into the dining room next door but we decided against this as we will eventually extend and the current kitchen will end up being the utility room (no point knocking through now then having to put a wall up in a few years time). So instead we're going to get the door out between the kitchen dining room and have an 'arch' so it flows better. However it will still be two separate rooms.

I was thinking of getting some extra matching kitchen cupboards in the dining room on one wall. Maybe even put my American fridge freezer in there to enable extra worktop space in kitchen. Do you think this will look odd?

Comments

• POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We use our kitchen as our dining room.

We have a big table in the middle with 8 chairs so it is both kitchen and dining room.

At one end of the kitchen is our American fridge freezer and next to it we have made a'dresser' with kitchen units.

We have tall wall units sitting directly on the worktop with base units underneath, it looks really nice.

You could do something similar which I think would look better for a dining room.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    What people used to do was have a sideboard in the room - and that's where the kitchen stuff goes, not in AN Other kitchen style cabinet. Or a Welsh dresser.

But, if it works for you and you're happy with your style choice, then why not... a cupboard's a cupboard by any name and it's your house, your way.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I agree a sideboard or dresser would work better in terms of expected aesthetics, the fridge freezer in there might annoy me when I'm trying to cook if I kept having to walk to another room every time I wanted to get the milk out, even if it is just through the arch. Without knowing sizes though, it's hard to advise because worktop space might be precious and this could make a real difference to you.

Not sure of the state of your current kitchen, but if you're planning to an extension then why not save the £ and do everything at once, rather than go through the cost and upheaval of a new kitchen now, only to rip it out again for the extension?
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• It will look like your kitchen's not big enough.

Which you know anyway, and you're planning an extension, so it's only temporary.

I wouldn't spend money on matching units. Get the cheapest possible. If you make it too nice 'temporary' might last longer than you intend it to.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Got some kitchen units fitted in a spare box room. Also planning on fitting a slim line base unit in the lounge once I find a nice bit of timber to use as a top.

Most flatpack furniture, be it kitchen, bedroom, or elsewhere, is pretty much the same in design. The only difference is height & depth along with a few finishing details.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • sandyk01
    sandyk01 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you all so much for you helpful replies. The extension is a long term plan maybe 5 or 10 years time perhaps until the need a new simple kitchen as current one is literally falling to pieces.

I was worried about the annoyance of going backwards and forwards from the fridge etc. But cupboard space is really limited.

Got Howdens coming out on Monday so perhaps they can give some tips too.

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely need to research more.
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I wouldn't spend money on matching units. Get the cheapest possible. If you make it too nice 'temporary' might last longer than you intend it to.
    Kitchen units often come up on sites like freecycle - usually in perfect condition for a temporary purpose. :)
    sandyk01 wrote: »
    Got Howdens coming out on Monday so perhaps they can give some tips too.
    :eek:
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd go for either a sideboard or two in the dining room or some units set up to look like a sideboard, then put the things you use least often in there - fancy plates, the rice cooker you use once a year, perhaps some of your cleaning stuff. If you tend to stock up on things, you could use those cupboards as your kitchen over-flow. I use the cupboard under the stairs for this but it's not too much bother to bring things through when I unpack the shopping or run out of something. I just keep one or two of each food item in the kitchen.

I wouldn't want the fridge freezer in the dining room although we have a small chest freezer in our dining room that nobody ever notices.
  • sandyk01
    sandyk01 Posts: 71 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks- you're all right, the fridge in the dining room will be annoying. The sideboard ideas are good for extra space.

Thank you all :)
  • FreeBear wrote: »
    Got some kitchen units fitted in a spare box room. Also planning on fitting a slim line base unit in the lounge once I find a nice bit of timber to use as a top.

Most flatpack furniture, be it kitchen, bedroom, or elsewhere, is pretty much the same in design. The only difference is height & depth along with a few finishing details.

All sounds lovely
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure