Is £10k too much for a catering pitch central Bristol??

Hi,

I have the opportunity to take over the pitch from my regular coffee van seller, it's located in central Bristol and has a good footfall, I pass by his van to my office every day and he is always busy.
Due to a change in circumstances he is relocating back to his home country and he is looking to sell the business altogether however he is considering to sell the pitch only as the van is out of my budget.
I am interested in taking over his pitch for now and later get a coffee van myself and start trading. I know it took him about 9 months to get the license from the Council and is not an easy job in Bristol. He is asking 10k but I have no idea if that is reasonable price he is asking, I searched the internet but I didn't really came across of anyone selling a catering pitch only in a city centre location so I can compare.

If anyone has experience or a brief idea what do they worth,it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Andy

Comments

• Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 3 October 2018 at 8:47AM
    e11even wrote: »
    Hi,

I have the opportunity to take over the pitch from my regular coffee van seller, it's located in central Bristol and has a good footfall, I pass by his van to my office every day and he is always busy.
    Due to a change in circumstances he is relocating back to his home country and he is looking to sell the business altogether however he is considering to sell the pitch only as the van is out of my budget.
    I am interested in taking over his pitch for now and later get a coffee van myself and start trading. I know it took him about 9 months to get the license from the Council and is not an easy job in Bristol. He is asking 10k but I have no idea if that is reasonable price he is asking, I searched the internet but I didn't really came across of anyone selling a catering pitch only in a city centre location so I can compare.

If anyone has experience or a brief idea what do they worth,it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Andy

Like everything else in life, something is only worth what somebody else is prepared to pay for it.

You need to do your own calculations, and work out what is affordable for you. i.e. what will be your return?

And remember, business is all about negotiation. What would you need to earn to make the investment worthwhile? If you cannot do that, do you think it would be feasible for anyone else to achieve that (and hence possibly be interested in purchasing the pitch?)

What are the terms imposed by the council? e.g. are there any requirements as to the hours/days someone needs to be on the pitch? Can you fullfill them, if you cannot currently afford to purchase a van to start your business?
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You need to see his accounts/VAT returns to explore the sales and profits he's making from the pitch. That's a basic starting point - if he won't give you the numbers, walk away.

No one can say whether it's worth it or not. No one else knows the footfall, sales, profits, costs, etc. You also need to explore how long the pitch licence is for, how much it will cost to renew it, and more importantly how easy it would be for someone else (or you) to get their own licence/pitch in a similar location.

Some councils make people tender for pitches/sites etc where the highest bidder "wins" the licence for the next year/3 years/5 years or whatever term it's for, so if someone else bids higher than you, they'd get it and you'd be walking away with nothing.

Don't forget that you need "proof" of anything the seller tells you - never take their word for anything. Get the numbers checked over by an accountant, get the terms of the pitch/licence/lease etc checked over by a solicitor. You should also talk to the council directly to ask them about the pitch, whether it can even be transferred to you without their approval, when it comes up for renewal, renewal process, etc.

My initial reaction is that £10k is far too much for an average/typical pitch on it's own, but if there's something special, i.e. exclusive area where council won't allow anyone else within say 1/2 mile, or outside the train/bus station, or outside the main shopping centre entrance, then the sales could maybe be high enough to warrant it.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,215 Forumite
    Here is a place to start:

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/licences-permits/street-trading

I'm wondering if his pitch is worth anything. If he leaves, I imagine you or anyone else would be free to apply for a licence for it. I would not imagine the present occupier of this spot has any right to sell it on as if it were owned by him.
  • Aquamania
    Aquamania Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    edited 4 October 2018 at 5:42PM
    martindow wrote: »
    Here is a place to start:

https://www.bristol.gov.uk/licences-permits/street-trading

I'm wondering if his pitch is worth anything. If he leaves, I imagine you or anyone else would be free to apply for a licence for it. I would not imagine the present occupier of this spot has any right to sell it on as if it were owned by him.

I think you will find that a street trading licence is one thing, but a council owned and operated pitch is quite another ;)

You need a street trading licence if you want to sell or offer for sale any article in a street (so I expect the OP will need one of those anyway)

A pitch is a designated site that allows the licence holder to operate their own business exclusively from that particular pitch. i.e. without another trader parking up along side and competing for business. There may be set/minimum hours the licence holder must opertate (as I alluded to previously)

Such pitches are often found on council owned land where ther is a demand for such services, but where the council does not want the land overun by anyone and everyone with a street licence. e.g a park, sea front, etc
    There is often a designated, prepared pitch for such (e.g. hardstanding, litter bins, even possibly lights).

They are often hard to come by, and when they do appear, are often sold by sealed bids/tender.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    How many cups of cofee do you need to sell to make a decent living ... before you consider the 10K fees!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    I know nothing about this area except that you can't move in Bristol without falling over somewhere to buy coffee. And I'm not talking cheap coffee (although there's one place where everything is 99p).

We're talking serious coffee. Several local independent suppliers, roasting and grinding their own. Choice of fancy teas to match. 6 different kinds of milk. Homemade cakes. And yes, this is the coffee carts as well as the coffee shops.

And they come, and they go.

I don't know where the OP's friend has his pitch or what his USP is, but I do know there's a lot of competition out there, and not taking over the van seems to me to put him on the back foot too.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • I was wondering what would happen if the OP paid the £10k for the pitch but then did not get the council licence?
    I would also take with a pinch of salt the reason the present occupier is leaving - if it was making a decent return why not put an employee in to run it until they were able to return.
    Perhaps the real reason is that it is long hours for a small return?
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    You need to see his tax returns to see what profit he is making before anyone can tell you if the pitch is worth 10k or not.

Seeing his books isn't good enough as these can easily be manipulated but you don't cook the tax returns.

People don't usually move from profitable places so do your due diligence before you part with your cash.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You'd need to sell an enormous amount of coffee if you are looking for a decent salary OP http://www.independentcoffee.co.uk/profit-in-a-cup-of-coffee/
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    e11even wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,
    Andy

"I pass by his van to my office every day and he is always busy"......busy in morning as people go to work,busy at lunchtime and dead the rest of the day
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure