ERUDIO student loans help

Comments

• zombi
    zombi Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Would it be better to keep this thread going but introduce some stickies or pinned information posts at the start? Is that even possible? Ignore me if it's not (I've been at work 11 and a half hours so far today and my brain is ceasing to function :dance:)
    meh...
  • anna2007
    anna2007 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2015 at 7:47PM
    I've received a reply from BIS to the FOI request for the sale and purchase agreement. They've refused to release it ( no surprises there), so I'll ask for an internal review, the escalate to the ICO:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/sale_of_mortgage_style_student_l_2?nocache=incoming-614690#incoming-614690

Also got a reply from SLC to the request for statistics around the time of the sale. This was refused on cost grounds, so I've amended the original request here:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/mortgage_style_student_loans_sta_2/new
  • anna2007
    And another FOI response from BIS, this one on the payment of the £160m for the loans book. They've withheld some of the info, again hiding behind the 'Commercial Interests' exemption, so I'll escalate again... I would have thought the Government was supposed to protect our interests before the commercial interests of big business...

I've only had a quick read through, but they seem to have completely ignored the query as to why we weren't offered the chance to settle our accounts before being sold off.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/sale_of_mortgage_style_student_l?nocache=incoming-614703#incoming-614703
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Superb Anna, well done on probing them and responding again. No surprise they didnt answer 2 of those FOI requests and used Section 43, citing it could "adversely affect the commercial position of the UK Government" & other stakeholders to release info about why we werent offered the chance to buy our loans before they were sold to Erudio, as well as other info.
  • erudioed wrote: »
    Superb Anna, well done on probing them and responding again. No surprise they didnt answer 2 of those FOI requests and used Section 43, citing it could "adversely affect the commercial position of the UK Government" & other stakeholders to release info about why we werent offered the chance to buy our loans before they were sold to Erudio, as well as other info.

bis seem to be using section 43 as rug which they can sweep any useful foi requests under. are we not all stakeholders in the goverment.
  • erudioed
    erudioed Posts: 682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 February 2015 at 1:05PM
    One could argue we are the biggest stakeholders, i.e., the taxpayers, the people who both elected them, give them a reason to exist (in theory) and give them billions in tax to spend how they deem fit.
    I agree, it does seem to be a wall to hide behind, especially as we just want to know some pretty general information that shouldn't be deemed damaging. If it is damaging, then i guess the processes they are using and the deals they strike must be pretty rotten if you cant say it like it is for fear of destroying the government or creating a negative situation (for them). After all, everything they do should be in the public interest.
    Slightly related to that issue, I was listening to the new Greek Finance Minister speak in his headline meeting with his German counterpart yesterday. Varoufakis was trying to suggest a new way forward for the whole of Europe, whilst also stating something that hit a cord with this issue of concealing information from people like us.
    "My message to my German counterpart and to the people of Germany is simple. From our government you can expect a frenzy of reasonableness. You can expect proposals that are aimed, not at promoting the interests of the average Greek, but of promoting the interests of the average European: the average German, Slovak, Finn, Spaniard, Italian and so on. You can expect from us an unwavering commitment to telling it as it is, without any tactical stratagems or subterfuge. You can expect from us sound macroeconomic analysis and a readiness to implement efficient microeconomic reforms that work. These are our commitments." (He was of course referring in the last part to the austerity policies the previous Greek conservative led coalition government implemented, such as trying to privatise the country on the cheap and the like; in the UK case, privatising the Post Office and stepping towards privatising student loans etc).
    Going back to the original point, it does seem Section 43 is being used as a shield, but for this issue, if everything was above board, there would be no need for these ridiculous games. The spirit of openness certainly doesn't pervade in the British Government right now. All we want to know is info about loans, how they were sold, why they were sold and who are these new companies that have been forced on us. If that is deemed secret information and we agree that is, then we have been way too accepting as a society in this old corrupt system. Luckily Greece had an option (Syriza); in the UK, there isnt a party established enough to bring about the kind of change we need moving forward to a better future, moving away from this stagnant, stale, corrupt stitch-up we call British politics!
  • Interesting quote from a telegraph article;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11393480/Student-loans-are-tough-to-clear-even-when-youve-got-the-cash.html

Someone paid off a loan to the SLC the agent said this!

"A customer services agent explained that although the balance was nil, the account could never be closed and would remain open forever. The agent also said that student loan accounts had been designed to be passed down the generations."
  • anna2007
    erudioed wrote: »
    Luckily Greece had an option (Syriza); in the UK, there isnt a party established enough to bring about the kind of change we need moving forward to a better future, moving away from this stagnant, stale, corrupt stitch-up we call British politics!
    There is, and they're called the SNP! ;)
  • Well - that's securely placed in my 'marked Erudio' boxfile. The first payslip of 2015, which proves I'm still a pauper!
    Because January will be my first provable month's wage under the deferment criteria, if I'm to assume it's still the three months before I try to defer!
    I remember standing in an icy car park at work, letter in my hand, trying to argue the toss with Erudio way back last year.
    I remember going straight online, searching for Erudio and found this thread on MSE. My key concern was 'I took out a student loan in 1996. I was told I could defer it until I went over a certain wage bracket'
    Then I saw all the gumpf about credit reporting (and Arrow's grubby fingers are on my credit report).
    I remember I was one of the earlier ones to comment and @erudioed told me to 'put my tin hat on' and hunker down for the fight. Or something like that.
    What I'll say now is, after recently walking across that car park, again icy, is that yes, I'm deferred, yes we kicked up a stink and yes if you can prove you are below the wage threshold, your loan will be deferred, but I honestly think Erudio tried every little tactic humanly possible to claw back cash when they bought the portfolio.
    The next few months might be interesting.
  • Good morning all. I posted this over on the other Erudio thread (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=67464740#post67464740) on the 14th January 2015
    evilsheep wrote: »
    I have three loans, dating from pre-1998, which have been deferred for the majority of the time as my earnings are below the threshold.

I emailed Erudio last October to notify them of a change of address. They took a week to reply to the email, in which they first requested that I confirm my current address, and previous address. I replied the same day providing this, PLUS one more previous address (to be on the safe side).

They replied (12 days later) saying: and said "we require you to confirm the following information in accordance with the Data Protection Act: full name, date of birth, current address and Erudio account number". (I'd already given them everything apart from DOB by this point). I replied with this information within minutes.

They then replied 12 days later, this time with "Please could you resubmit your email confirming all previous addresses resided at within the last 6 years for Data Protection. I trust this clarifies the matter". I replied (the same day) with:

No, this does not clarify the matter.

Please note all previous emails I have sent you before, within which I have included: two previous addresses, my date of birth, and my Erudio Account Number. This is more than the information than you requested from me on the 21st November and, as you should have all previous addresses of mine stored on your system anyway, I see no reason why I should again confirm this for 'Data Protection'.

Please could you reply stating specifically which paragraph of the Data Protection Act required me to confirm all previous addresses to you?

As I have provided the information that you've requested to approve the change of address, I expect my account to be updated accordingly. Please note that I initially sent you notification of my change of address on 30th October 2014, and I replied the following day providing ALL of the information you requested.

I look forward to a swift response and resolution of this matter

They replied a mere week later with:

I can confirm your address details were updated on our systems today. I apologise for the delay in responding to your request.

Today I have received a letter (at my current address) that my loan is now in arrears, as I have missed one installment, and have not applied for deferment. I haven't received any deferment forms of course, probably because they were sent to the old address.

I'll be replying with the letter listed in another thread regarding deferring, and I'll be including all necessary information, plus asking them to correct the 'arrears'. I don't expect it to be resolved within 2 months though.

On 20th January, I then emailed them the following:
    Dear Erudio

I was quite surprised to receive a letter from Erudio on 8th January which informed me that you had not yet received my monthly payment.

As you can see from the email thread which I have forwarded below for your convenience, I had informed you of my change of address on 30th October 2014. However, despite having given you enough information within my first email for you to update my details, it took until 9th December for you to confirm the change had taken place.

I imagine that your automated system had sent deferral forms to my previous address during this period, which is why I have never received them, and therefore why you consider my account to be in arrears. As I have not received any forms from you, to simplify and speed up my deferral I enclose a letter declaring that my income is below the threshold for deferral, and also a payslip to prove that my income in the month preceding the deferral commencement is below threshold. I also enclose a further 2 payslips to show that this income is consistent, which provides you with evidence that my income is unlikely to exceed the threshold.

As the information I've provided is exactly as I used to provide to the Student Loans Company, and complies with The Education (Student Loans) Regulations, I look forward to you confirming my deferral.

I will of course be sending you this information by post as well, although in previous years my deferral forms have often been accepted by email.

Regards

I attached to the email my previous 3 months payslips, along with the template letter I found here: https://no2erudio.wordpress.com/template-letter-for-deferment/

No email response from them this time, but instead I've received a standard letter dated 29th January saying:

"We have recently received an application for deferment from you. However the form was not signed and dated. Please complete the attached form again and return it to us as soon as possible. (Enclosed are 3 sheets of deferral forms)

Irritatingly, I completely forgot to send them the emailed letter and attachments, so I'll be doing that today. Am I correct in thinking that I absolutely do not need to sign their forms, as I am providing them with all of the information that is required to defer?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback