IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Morrisons .. massive data breach by one of their staff BUT ....

Comments

• Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    umm not quite , the system was set up for government bodies/councils to get info for FINES and criminal actions , by an electronic means

private companies and individuals can apply for data , but for those requests they are done manually and a VERY GOOD REASON given

in a lot of cases , for example ,own parking space , should the manual request at the DVLA not start bells ringing when the parking co say "parking at 6 fred st" and the data shows that the owner lives at 6 fred st

electronic KADOE should be scrapped for parking Cos , the DVLA should scrutinise each and every request for data

I dont care if they cannot handle it , overworked , short staffed , that is not our problem , charge the parking Cos £250 and employ more staff!!

then link the DVLA to the court service , any companies that proceed to court action without doing further checked - trace / electoral rolls and cause a default that results in a set aside should be banned for 6 mths for wasting court time

Pretty much that, the electronic link/data tap should be turned off for private companies, if a private individual/company requires Registered keeper data it should eb submitted manually.

As for data security, the question should be: Who gets to view someones personal data?
    It wouldn't take much for a corrupt PPC/PPC employee to access someones personal details courtesy of the DVLA and use those details for whatever nefarious reason they want:

Stalker - I know what car you drive, I now have your home address

Fraudster - I have your name address and other personal data just what I need to take over your identity for credit card fraud, and worse - I can take a phone contract out in your name, and use its data connection to download copyright movies, or worse - all in your name, or maybe I can just sell your personal data onto the black market - arrested at the airport? oh well https://www.irishtimes.com/news/you-re-under-arrest-for-internet-fraud-1.608622

Some links : DVLA sells data to convicted criminal ( the Telegraph)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9179438/DVLA-sells-details-to-convicted-criminal.html

DVLA sells your data to criminals - Mail on Sunday via Pistonheads
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=224815

DVLA makes 6.5m selling data (2006) the register
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/19/dvla_sells_you_down_river/

And there will be plenty more
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Half_way wrote: »
    Pretty much that, the electronic link/data tap should be turned off for private companies, if a private individual/company requires Registered keeper data it should eb submitted manually.

As for data security, the question should be: Who gets to view someones personal data?
    It wouldn't take much for a corrupt PPC/PPC employee to access someones personal details courtesy of the DVLA and use those details for whatever nefarious reason they want:

Stalker - I know what car you drive, I now have your home address

Fraudster - I have your name address and other personal data just what I need to take over your identity for credit card fraud, and worse - I can take a phone contract out in your name, and use its data connection to download copyright movies, or worse - all in your name, or maybe I can just sell your personal data onto the black market - arrested at the airport? oh well https://www.irishtimes.com/news/you-re-under-arrest-for-internet-fraud-1.608622

Some links : DVLA sells data to convicted criminal ( the Telegraph)
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9179438/DVLA-sells-details-to-convicted-criminal.html

DVLA sells your data to criminals - Mail on Sunday via Pistonheads
    https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=10&t=224815

DVLA makes 6.5m selling data (2006) the register
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/19/dvla_sells_you_down_river/

And there will be plenty more

umm legs get this right

are you saying that the DVLA are not fit for purpose ?
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Half_way ..... thanks

All the reasons why we should opt-out of the DVLA
    giving data to an unregulated industry

twhitehousescat .... Just like the BPA and IPC, they are not
    fit for purpose
  • beamerguy
    And as per the Telegraph article .....

The DVLA suspended OPC from accessing drivers’ details electronically, as the BPA carried out an investigation into the firm but just 44 days later, the trade body gave OPC a clean bill of health and the DVLA lifted the suspension.

WHOOPS did the article say the BPA ???

YES THEY DID ... the private members club again ???
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    beamerguy wrote: »
    DO READ ???? ... talking about those WHO PAY THEM which are far more than ever seen on here.

No need to shout! Well you know the answer - Don't Pay.
    Nobody suggests the tax payers should pay ? where did that come from ???

Well you seem put out that the DVLA take any money for providing data. I highlighted that they only cover the costs and you still thought that was wrong. Only logical conclusion I could come to is they shouldn't charge at all - thus the taxpayer paying.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    Here is the clue, NEVER SAID THAT.

They can charge £100 if they wish
    , I simply don't care, it's the release of data to unregulated companies andwhat happens to that ???

And then you'd no doubt accuse the DVLA of profiteering. And I think you and others are forgetting if the DVLA charged £100 or £250, as someone else mentioned, for a data record, then the "unconscionable" figure for a PCN would go up accordingly.
  • beamerguy
    Johno100 wrote: »
    No need to shout! Well you know the answer - Don't Pay.
    Well you seem put out that the DVLA take any money for providing data. I highlighted that they only cover the costs and you still thought that was wrong. Only logical conclusion I could come to is they shouldn't charge at all - thus the taxpayer paying.

Wrong on both counts. Where do you get this from ??

Do read the post above by Half_way, sums it up completely
    Points missed .... who cares if they cover their costs, it's
    nothing to do with that .... or taxpayers money
  • and if they were manually checked they would be halved , PS: legislation set £100 , is this a good time (greg knights bill) to ask parliament to increase PPC costs
  • beamerguy
    edited 23 October 2018 at 7:18PM
    Johno100 wrote: »
    And then you'd no doubt accuse the DVLA of profiteering. And I think you and others are forgetting if the DVLA charged £100 or £250, as someone else mentioned, for a data record, then the "unconscionable" figure for a PCN would go up accordingly.

What ??? you mean £200 or £350 for a parking invoice ?
    Don't think so :eek:

See twhitehousescat post above
  • beamerguy wrote: »
    What ??? you mean £200 or £350 for a parking invoice ?
    Don't think so :eek:

£100 is prescribed in law (legislation) however the DVLA are able to increase cost to PRIVATE companies whenever they wish

perhaps an increase to £50 (cash) would reduce the Robo requests , however the BPA / IPC would have to tighten up on multi claims after one request , anyone doing this should be banned by the DVLA for a period of not less than 27 yrs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure