BBC PANORAMA Mortgage Prisoners

Options

Comments

• amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 October 2018 at 3:29PM
    Options
    The 'Expert' who says these Clients should be paying 1% to 1.2% on the open market tells you everything you need to know about the attention to detail of the research on this programme.

As to the 'Poet' saying there were no background checks, I was never aware of Northern Rock lending 125% with no background checks. That was quite simply never possible.

Of course, if the Government sold these mortgage assets without any clear enforceable protection for the borrowers with regard to charges and rate options going forward, someone should be accountable.

The whole 'mortgage prisoner' issue across the market keeps getting talked about but it is not being dealt with.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The only chap I felt had unfairly been treated was the one who had depression. He had a mortgage with an attached loan which he had over paid on but had gone into arrears on the mortgage. Combined he was actually in credit by £1k but they went ahead and repossessed the house. Judge overturned it but it took him 2 years to get the property back and it was damaged when he got it back.

He unfortunately was not aware that not paying the unsecured loan would not put his home at risk, but nothing the secured loan did.

Given the problems he was having he could have found himself in similar difficulty with any Lender.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • jubilee14
    jubilee14 Posts: 331 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I watched the programme with self interest. I had a Together Mortgage which i renewed to a 95% mortgage in 2006 with NRAM. I was tied in for 5 years after which my own credit rating was in a state and i couldnt re-mortgage and am stuck on this until my debt situation is completed ( early next year). Its not ideal knowing that those with better money management have the opportunity to pay less for mortgages but it is how it is. My LtV rate is nearer 70% it wasn't interest only as a few are assuming but its likely that those of us still locked in are for a reason such as bad credit history. Many others with similar debt issues have been able to re-mortgage because their provider has other products. Landmark dont so have to pay the 4.78% ( although you do get a 0.25% discount for being stuck with them for 7 years plus!) I tried recently to remortgage with a high risk company but found it comparitive so am just going to wait it out.

Feel a bit like someone on a meter with their gas/elec bad financial behaviour is penalised. On the positive side though, when Im all sorted and on a better mortgage eventually, i wont panic at 5 or 6% where others may really feel the pinch when inflation rate rises above these abnormally low levels. I've not lost my house i ve not found it absurdly expensive just a little envy for those who have more disposal cash than myself for now. Its not the end of the world and it is literally £200 ish/ month saving if i had a great deal. Thats not a life changing amount. Its all been part of my learning to deal with money properly i guess.
    LBM Sept 2012
    started DMP 1.11.12
    Debt [STRIKE]£37012[/STRIKE]/£0 DFD January 2019 :beer:
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    Then the people will need to take responsibility for their actions and not blame someone else. If you mortgage to the hilt, you may risk failing affordability if it is 125%

Not that there was anything silly with regards to 125% mortgages.

I took one and did reasonable actions.

Remortgaged in 2/3 years for what would be 200% on the purchace price. The place needed doing up. I did so. I idiots took the 125% and did nothing then they made their bed. Sold the house for 300% (of purchace price) many years later.

Probably the best thing I ever did and it is bad that current people do not have the opportunity. Yes maybe they gave it out to idiots and there should have been a higher bar like a test of can you add value to tthe property, but hey.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 October 2018 at 4:34PM
    Options
    jubilee14 wrote: »
    Feel a bit like someone on a meter with their gas/elec bad financial behaviour is penalised.

Mortgage lending is underwritten at the macro rather than micro level. When one is talking in terms of thousands of mortgages. People get grouped accordingly. Risk is priced. Might not be you. But people in a similar financial position are likely to default. You are simply contributing to that cost. Mortgage lending is a low margin high volume business.
  • Thrugelmir
    Options

Not to mention that thousands lost all there money in shares when it was originally sold off from the government.

Someone needs to be accountable for this.

Northern Rock was found to be bust. Took the Treasury 8 months to get to the bottom of it's financial position.

Blame the light touch and inadequate regulation of the late 90's and early 2000's. The Company's management, the Government of the day, the BOE and the then regulators. The GFC extended far and wide.
  • Zero_Sum
    Zero_Sum Posts: 1,567 Forumite
    Options
    amnblog wrote: »
    The 'Expert' who says these Clients should be paying 1% to 1.2% on the open market tells you everything you need to know about the attention to detail of the research on this programme.

As to the 'Poet' saying there were no background checks, I was never aware of Northern Rock lending 125% with no background checks. That was quite simply never possible.

Of course, if the Government sold these mortgage assets without any clear enforceable protection for the borrowers with regard to charges and rate options going forward, someone should be accountable.

The whole 'mortgage prisoner' issue across the market keeps getting talked about but it is not being dealt with.

I can only assume they mustve meant 1% to 1.2% plus BoE base? Even then with high LTV and/or other financial committments they would still be pushed to get on at 1.75% to 1.95% as they would be deemed high risk
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Watching it now.
    Some of these people would have been in the same situation had northern rock never gone out of business and interest rates hadn’t plummeted.

The couple where the difference was an average of £200 per month could probably save that by tightening their belts.

Definitely a one sided programme and not up to the high standards I would expect from the BBC.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For that first couple - they took out their mortgage in 2006, at which point the average interest rate was 5.25%. Now their rate is under 5%. If they say it is unafforable now, how was it affordable when they took out the mortgage?
    Plus got to love the shot of their house with the flash Audi and Mini Cooper on the drive. Maybe if they hadn't spent beyond their means, they wouldn't have to be 'borrowing' money from their family members to pay the bills?
    hBbHs2B.png
    poppy10
  • Thrugelmir
    Options
    RD60 wrote: »
    Under the bailout NRock where meant to offer us normal rates and offers they didn't .

Wasn't a bailout. It was nationalisation. The Treasury lending Northern Rock £50 billion to stay afloat. This debt is still being repaid. Over 10 years later.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure