Carers Allowance

Hi I spend over 35 hours looking after both my mom and dad. I currently claim carers allowance for my dad who is very ill with terminal cancer. It's very hard typing that and has been very difficult to deal with. Both my mom and dad receive pip daily living competent. During a search online I see you still receive carers allowance 8 weeks after passing away. So how quickly should I apply for carers allowance after my dad's death for my mom. I'm trying to work it out so don't go short on the little money they give you if possible.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would claim straight away given that it takes time for them to process the claim. Use the other information box to inform them that you have already been receiving Carer’s Allowance but advise them of the circumstances.

Alternatively you may be able to switch your claim now. That would avoid the risk of a gap between the 8 week run on and DWP determining a new claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure