Credit Account 'Trade Reference' GDPR?

Hi all, i hope this is the correct place to ask this.

Throwing a scenario in the wind, a new business startup requesting a credit account with a company, said company asks for three trade references.
How does this work in relation to GDPR, if said references are followed up/checked, can the data holder answer/give information about the new business?

I have to admit i am a tad confused by this scenario :huh:

Comments

• T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    If you have granted permission for the company to check with these references, then there is no breach of data protection. The reference(s) can still refuse to provide information for the purposes of data protection, however there would be no law broken if data was provided.

It could help to contact the reference(s) beforehand and inform them of your consent, to avoid the company checking being refused information.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • I guess the ideal scenario there is that the reference knows you have given them as a contact, and will give the information as per the request.

Interesting, thank you for your input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport