Friend's Daughter has spent £450 on Roblox without her knowledge

My friend went to the shop tonight for supplies and was shocked to see her card declined. She immediately went home to check her bank history and found exactly fifty eight transactions of £7.69 for in game currency over three days.

We have been checking the time stamps and 27 purchases were made in a one hour period on the 11th October . She knew nothing of these transactions. She had bought in game currency once in July for her kid's excellent work at school but she didn't know other things could be purchased without the three digit code on the card.

Her rent is due in 4 days and all her money has gone on roblox currency. The reference on the ststement (58 of them) is all microsoft because Roblox was downloaded from Windows 10 store.

Do we have any way of getting this money back? Who do we contact? Halifax, Microsoft, Roblox or all three?

Do Halifax not share any responsibility for allowing 27 x £7.69 purchases within the space of one hour? We are despearte for answers . I don't even know which forum to post this in.

Comments

• cjv
    cjv Posts: 513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Forumite
    "Once a charge is disputed, Roblox may be unable to provide a direct or immediate refund due to the dispute process, which is why we request that you contact us before disputing a charge."

Contact them and see what they say, then take it from there:

https://en.help.roblox.com/hc/en-us/articles/203312650-Unauthorized-Charges-or-Stolen-Credit-Card
  • Tell your friend to buy a pre-paid card.

The bank did nothing wrong, if you want to spend 27 lots of anything then have at it, its your money and its not for them to police you.

But if you want responsibility, id look at the parent monitoring what the kid is doing and kid knowing not to go into a game store and repeatedly buy items too. More than just the bank.

Im pretty certain the kid knew what he/she was doing haha
  • Tell your friend to buy a pre-paid card.

The bank did nothing wrong, if you want to spend 27 lots of anything then have at it, its your money and its not for them to police you.

But if you want responsibility, id look at the parent monitoring what the kid is doing and kid knowing not to go into a game store and repeatedly buy items too. More than just the bank.

Im pretty certain the kid knew what he/she was doing haha

I would suggest buying 800 robux 60 times in 3 days would suggest she didn't know what she was doing.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2018 at 1:37PM
    The parent should have setup a password on the account or setup whatever protection the game implements.

As it's Microsoft I'm sure you should be able to set various security measures in place eg a child account or a password, PIN etc to prevent it any purchases to be made without the password being entered.
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    karljt2013 wrote: »
    I would suggest buying 800 robux 60 times in 3 days would suggest she didn't know what she was doing.

Well that's open for debate isn't it, I personally believe the child knew what they were doing but that's not the issue at hand.

Tell the parent/friend there's no harm in speaking to Roblox to see if the money can be refunded. Don't see how Halifax are at fault as the parent had used the card before, same as it isn't Microsoft's fault.
  • karljt2013 wrote: »
    How old is this child who has no idea what they're doing :huh:
  • Robots
    Robots Posts: 76
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler Wedding Day Wonder
    Forumite
    I've successfully had refunds for micro-purchases on iOS App Store but for another game. I would advise checking the help pages of the app store the purchases were made on.
    Veteran gamer and clean freak :kiss:
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    edited 31 October 2018 at 8:47PM
    The OP has posted an update on her other thread, Microsoft have refunded the money and Halifax refused to refund.
  • DCFC79
    Forumite
    Its not Roblox but Fortnite is on watchdog.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure