Scottish Power changed our meters and now the boiler doesn't work

So Scottish Power came today to replace our meters with smart ones. They switched off gas and electricity, replaced the meters and when they switched gas and electricity back on the boiler wasn't working. The engineer was from a company Actavo contracted out by SP and after discussing with his manager left us with SP's phone number and left, taking no responsibility. After a whole afternoon talking to several people from SP, they are taking no responsibility either. They claim that the boiler could already be faulty.

They say we need to call an engineer and if the engineer conclusively determines that the meter caused the boiler to break down then they will discuss compensation.

We're obviously not impressed as we had a working boiler this morning and now we don't. Just to add that the boiler was last serviced Dec 2016. At the time it wasn't working great but the engineer who serviced it said it was fine. It turned out that it hadn't been flushed when installed which was causing issues that the engineer missed. After that we were a bit disillusioned with this servicing con and haven't done it again.

Any ideas of what we can/should do?? What are our rights? TIA

Comments

• Dime_Bar
    Dime_Bar Posts: 584
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Did the guy changing the meter do a test on the boiler before he switched the gas off?

What's the make / model of the boiler, have you got any error codes on it.
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • No test beforehand. Boiler is Baxi and there's no message, it doesn't light up at all. We think some fuse blew. So an electrical issue, rather than gas
  • Just to add, the engineer must have thought the same as he replaced a fuse in the boiler's switch.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    It is difficult to see how changing a meter can affect a gas boiler unless the gas isn't getting to the boiler; and it is standard practice to check there is the correct gas pressure at the boiler.
  • Dime_Bar
    Dime_Bar Posts: 584
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When BG swapped out meters the guy tested all gas appliances before he switched off the gas.

If there is no power getting to the boiler, do you have a due spur with a light t indicate I is on, this was probably where he changed the fuse.

I take it you have check the fuse board ?
    The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible.
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • I had my Baxi boiler serviced last Thursday. The engineer said he was always relieved when a Baxi combi switched back on and works after the service. He said it wasn't uncommon for the circuit board to blow when switched back on. Obviously I don't know the technical details, just repeating what he said to me.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    OP - I assume that you have looked at this page:

https://www.baxi.co.uk/service-and-repair/boiler-faqs
  • Thanks! I always hear bad things about Baxi.... This is a new build so unfortunately we didn't have a choice!
  • Will have a look thanks.
  • Thanks. We did check the fuse board.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family