PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

50k buy to let

Comments

• Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The self publishing must be going well!
    Hope you!!!8217;re remembering to put aside money for tax and NI before becoming a landlord!
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    davemorton wrote: »
    :eek: Are you mad! Everyone that uses public transport smells of wee!!! (Or custard creams).

I just had to smell one to see if I like it or not. A biscuit not a bus passenger :D
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Better off sticking it in premium bonds.
  • buggy_boy
    buggy_boy Posts: 657 Forumite
    Better off sticking it in premium bonds.

Although I have maxed out premium bonds as part of a cross section of investments, the return on it is quite poor... It is a lot better if you are a 40% tax payer as its tax free.
  • Crashy_Time
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    Although I have maxed out premium bonds as part of a cross section of investments, the return on it is quite poor... It is a lot better if you are a 40% tax payer as its tax free.

Still a better punt than BTL at the moment IMO.
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Ummm wouldn't it be a better world if we could get rid of all mums with kids.., particularly those who started off in relationships and ended up as single mums? Or those (like me) with kids with a disability that couldn't be forseen when younger and in a relationship.., and god forbid, end up on benefits as a carer. The dregs of society. I wasn't years ago. But I am now.., supposedly.

But disabled people are a better risk? As long as they are genuine of course. Single mums with kids can't be genuine? Apparently lol. Apparently there's a difference.

Please don't be a Landlord. Invest the money instead.

YES landlords are expected and legally have to pay for icky repairs like boilers breaking. How can you not know that if you plan on making an 'informed' decision on whether its worth being a LL?

The worst disabled are those ones who have one leg, go "Aaaaar, Jim laaad" all the time and have a parrot on their shoulder. If you don't allow pets you can usually weed these ones out.
  • Crashy_Time
    Stick it on the lottery.
  • buggy_boy
    Still a better punt than BTL at the moment IMO.

At the moment no, BTL is still a better return however I would agree BTL is a lot more work and potential risk... If you only have 50k then no don't go into BTL, if its part of a wider investment portfolio then yes.
  • buggy_boy
    Stick it on the lottery.

I would say stupid financial advice but then you gambled on prices falling yrs ago and lots big time so you probably would have been better off in hind sight putting it on the lottery.
  • Brock_and_Roll
    Brock_and_Roll Posts: 1,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    £50k on a house? Madness!!!

I have bought an entire neighbourhood in Mogadishu for £40k. Apparently, I am looking at a yield of 7% before costs/fraud/repairs/FX/bomb damage etc etc !!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure