PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• eveie189
    eveie189 Posts: 301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 April 2018 at 4:20PM
    Hi,

It's been a long time since Ive joined the challenge and all previous attempts went to pot but I want to give it another try. Can I have £320 for month please. This is just food for me and 3 kids for 4 weeks.
    Thanks
    April GC 9th-7th may £0/£320
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Our budget for April is £155 (tablet won't allow me to colour or enlarge text :mad:). Month is 1st to 30th April just for food and non alcoholic drinks.

We have spent £59.18 so far. The fridge is ridiculously full.

£59.18/£155.
    £95.82 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    £28.30 spent today, £4.10 on veg (which I couldn't get yesterday) £2 on bread, £7 for a sack of spuds, and two sacks of mixed corn for the chickens & some cockatiel food. The corn should do for two months, at least. There'll be more spent tomorrow at our local market.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    So far 4 NSD’s and one shop on Tuesday to restock the fridge and store cupboard. My total to date is £28.57, that’s broken down as Fresh = £14.68, Store Cupboard = £12.89 and Household = £1.00.

I have a plan of main meals using mostly my freezer stocks for the next 2 weeks but will probably need to get some fresh fruit, salad veg, yoghurt, milk and bread at the beginning of the week mainly for breakfasts/lunches, although crackers & cheese or hm soups could feature for a couple of days after the bread runs out because I’m determined to hang out as long as possible :D
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2018 at 10:53AM
    Been to Aldi today and although total spend was £60.25, my food spend was £32.98 and that included a Hashtag chocolate gift for next easter as these were dated 2020!! Also, included DD2's birthday cake as she is 15 today, and two protein powders for her aswell; so quite chuffed with that amount. Obv the spend as a whole was quite alot as i grabbed some cat food for my cats to try, nappies for GDD and clothes for DD2.

Need to try and rein in spends this month as although i think all my college fees are paid now as of last month; i am not seeing the benefit yet of it NOT coming out of the bank. Also, having had quite a few days off paid holidays, my wage wasn't very much this month either. I am hoping this month doesn't drag on too long, and that the finances are back to an even keel soon.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Mrs_Cheshire
    Mrs_Cheshire Posts: 1,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Been and done a bulk meat shop today, spent £57.69 that did include nearly £30 on a huge piece of fillet steak. Managed to cut it into 18 portions so that should last us a couple of months.
    Also spent £49.78 in Aldi, got some more meat which I couldn't get at the bulk meat shop, some nappies etc.
    Have now spent over £200 so going to have to be really careful
    Grocery Challenge 2020
    Jan £377.98/£380, Feb £417.83/£370 March /£400
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    I'm now up to £12.14, which is more than I wanted to have spent by this point in the month, but some of it was treats for our holiday. I'm happy to buy a few treats, as then we're less likely to buy loads when we're there.

My body is aching really badly from falling down the stairs yesterday morning, so I didn't cook the roast. I'll do it for lunch tomorrow as the meat is out of the freezer. Hopefully I'll be well enough tomorrow.

I have two children staying over tomorrow night, one of whom is here for dinner, then I'll have 5 (including my two) for most of Saturday!! I'll try and make do with what's in, but I don't know what I'm making for dinner tomorrow yet. I might try sausage and mash.

Night all,

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Have found some crumpled up receipts in my bag from March... didn't do as well as I thought last month then :( it's a little over £40 so not sure whether to go back and add to March or pop it on April.

Lovely house guests have kept me fed this week so not all bad, will add up spends (and will check handbag :D) at weekend.

x
  • I'm not feeling great, as I fell down the stairs yesterday morning - very sore.
    PG x
    Ouch :eek: hoping your soon on the mend, be gentle with yourself for a few days!

NSD here, went to work, was let out early (I'd like to say for good behaviour, sadly no, it's cos I look :eek:and am feeling that way too.. Also been given day off tomorrow)
    Assisted my elderly neighbours who have also been very poorly over the last fortnight was given free veg (he has 2 allotments) so shall make a nice hearty soup tomorrow.
    Trying to sleep.. Not happening.. Feels like I'm breathing out my ears:(
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
    MrsSD 2023 Decluttering Campaign:
    🏅⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Good morning everyone,

So sorry to hear of your fall PennyGrabber. I hope you feel better soon.

First spend of the month £26. Have been using up what is in the house. Now I have to make meal plan for upcoming week. Also need to stock up new freezer. So I will possibly go over budget this month but will try my best to keep as close to target as possible.

Have been strict with myself re buying household/cleaning materials. Wailting until item is nearly finished before replacing. I used to stock pile and have at least three of each item. Would only do so now if the bargain was too good to ignore.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport