PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Elsie this was so pleasant to read! And if it makes you feel better, this is how my kids are growing up. The cinema is twice a year and then there's often a cinema party thrown by a friend so 3. Our parties are all at home. Last year we got out a plastic waterslide, the kind you squirt washing up liquid on and then set the hose going, and the kids slid down it in their swimsuits and then ate crisps and sandwiches and a token fruit platter and there was lemonade and a Victoria sponge.

Ooh I used to love these! Childhood friend had a huge country garden with a long slope and they did the best birthdays, always hadabout 3 or 4 blue tarps going down for the longest slip n slide I've ever been on! As the day went on they would come apart a bit so you hit grass a bit in between :rotfl:
    When our Son was three we had a picnic planned and on the day the weather was bad, so we moved the furniture out of the sitting room and put down some of that paper tablecloth on a roll and had our picnic in the sitting room on the floor with paper plates and cups. We gave out paper placemats and about 3 coloured crayons for each child so they coloured them in before eating their picnic off them. After that we played pass-the-parcel (with a tiny treat in each layer so each child won something) and then sent them all home with a satsuma and a balloon each. Clearing up involved folding everything up in the tablecloth and binning it and a quick wipe of some sticky finger marks on the toilet door-handle - it was the most stress-free party we've ever had and these memories jogged mine. Thank you for sharing
    Aww, that sounds lovely too!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi everyone, I've been a bit lax about posting (again) but will try harder:o
    Spends so far have been £63.50 over two, weekly shops so I'm slightly under budget but I'm nearly out of milk and salad so I'll probably be just about on target by the end of the week.
    Have a good week
    PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    spends of £2 yesterday on crisps in poundshop!!! x
  • 2childmum
    2childmum Posts: 240 Forumite
    We have finally started our May budget - not a brilliant start really. We made the sudden decision to visit DH's mum on Sunday and as she finds it difficult to cook I offered to take the food down, as it would be much more expensive to eat out. This meant I had to go shopping on Saturday, which I don't usually do and so an extra trip to the shops resulted in buying extra stuff. Also meant that, as I was providing food for someone else, I bought nicer things than usual. So On Saturday I spent 20.01, but this did include two lots of YS meat for the freezer.

Yesterday was my usual shop - Aldi and Asda this time - £21,87 and £15.21. Funny how a smaller shop in Asda took twice as long as a bigger shop in Aldi! This included some vitamins which all ran out at the same time, and a big pack of loo rolls, so both things will last ages.
    May spend - £291.40/£320.00
    June spend - £106.40/£320.00
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £1 on milk tonight.

DH not too impressed with the mushroom stroganoff last night, due to the lack of meat in it :rotfl: next time I might add some stir fry beef.
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Did my weekly shop at Aldi last night, managed to find everything I needed. I got a few new products in haven't tried before so fingers crossed we like them.
    Shop came to $124.?? , I cant find my receipt, so lets just round it up to $125.
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • Did my weekly shop at Aldi last night, managed to find everything I needed. I got a few new products in haven't tried before so fingers crossed we like them.
    Shop came to $124.?? , I cant find my receipt, so lets just round it up to $125.

Amanda, are you also in Australia by any chance? I saw dollar signs and my eyes lit up!
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    £14 spent on a Chinese takeaway delivery after I was in A&E with DS until 9.30pm. No broken bones thank goodness but I think he will be off school today.
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Amanda, are you also in Australia by any chance? I saw dollar signs and my eyes lit up!
    Yes I am :) I'm in Perth
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 May 2017 at 9:04AM
    XSpender wrote: »
    £14 spent on a Chinese takeaway delivery after I was in A&E with DS until 9.30pm. No broken bones thank goodness but I think he will be off school today.
    Sounds dramatic - glad he's ok!

£1.80 of last week's spend was WASTED because the 4 packs of coriander I bought from A1di were all slimey. Obviously hadn't been stored well. Lesson learnt.

I'm having a total nightmare, my car hasfailed MOT and needs £270 work done to sort. Panic and upset are ensuing over here, especially when I think of how much I've wasted on essentially carp in the last six months now that I'm tracking again in the GC. Feeling very down!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport