PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Is my carpet salvagable?

Options
Ok what happened was I knocked the radiator and it drip leaked all night, not enough to flood the living room but about a foot from radatior from left to right, I used my carpet shamoo machine (Vax one) to soak up the water but not until like 12 hours after the leak started)

Now its dried out it looked brownish.

I think this is because the floors themselves are concrete and the water soaked into the floor so the dirt from that soaked into carpet.and the carpet itself is more like lino, very thin.

I was thinking maybe I can carefully use the carpet cleaner machine to get rid of this or the worst but what is best way? My normal method of cleaning was to soak area with hot water then leave a few minutes and use machine to soak it before it went too deep, this worked well before, and perfectly at last place that had wooden floorboards

When I do it the way the manual says it uses like a few litres of solution to just do a patch this size and its very expensive

Comments

• Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The colour is probably from the radiator water, it can e very sludgy brown/black water in there. I'd blot as much water as possible with old rags and towels and see what colour you're left with once everything is dry. If possible pull the carpet up to allow the floor to dry thoroughly too or you'll just end up with mold.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know the cleaning solution is quite expensive but it would be an awful lot more expensive to replace the carpet. The only way to see if the stains will come out is to clean it but as the previous poster suggests, lift the carpet in that area first, if you can, to make sure the floor has dried.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    I agree with the above. Do you have a small amount of cleaning solution to spot test?

A lot depends on your situation - are you renting?

If i is your own place, and it's not good carpet, I'd be inclined to cover up / live with it until I'd saved up for a new carpet
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Its a council property, not intending to stay for years and have a heavy tv in here that takes 2 people to move so not ideal.

Yes the radiator water was dirty coloured but reason I think its the concrete as last year I spilled some food when on sofa that went on floor, I soaked the area in hot soapy water and left it to soak for 30 minutes then used the machine to pull up the water (which came up brown) the area where I cleaned was a similar brown though not as bad as the radiator got rid of the food stain though!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent ages mostly doing a small amount of washing liquid on affected area, boiling water, leave 10 minutes use machine to pull up water, use more hot water, pull and 3rd time use lukewarm water, looks far far better but not perfect the dirt look has gone though it looks darker still and I had a lot of vinegar in the shampoo compartnment so now my carpet smells a little damp and of vinegar.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure