is it cheaper to use my electric at night ?

mirry
mirry Posts: 1,570 Forumite
Hi , I have a question about my electricity ,

My provider for this is British Gas ,

I have been told that it is cheaper to put the washing machine on at midnight 12 - 6 am, because it costs alot less , and that you can buy plugs that time it .

any advice on this much appreciated .
Kindness costs nothing :)

Comments

• It is as long as you have an economy 7 tarrif (your meter will have 2 or more readings on it)

If you are, off-peak times also vary by region - so avoid the start or end of these periods (as your washing machine isn't going to take 6 hours per cycle)

If you are on an off peak tarrif, the best thing to do is phone and ask exactly when the off-peak times are in your supply region for your supply type.

Timings also depend to an extend on if you have a teleswitch (that receives it's command over LW radio) or a mechanical timer by your meter to switch to off-peak rate - if it is a teleswitch timings will be very close to what are given by your supplier, if a mechanical timeswitch this could well have "drifted" so don't take the times given my your supplier as set-in-stone in this case!

HTH

MP
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    mirry wrote: »
    I have been told that it is cheaper to put the washing machine on at midnight 12 - 6 am, because it costs alot less , and that you can buy plugs that time it .

any advice on this much appreciated .

Be careful about trying to switch on an appliance using a timer plug. The older machines with an electro mechanical programmer/timer (the dial turned as the programme ran) were OK. A lot of the more modern ones require power to be on, for the "on" button to work - if you see what I mean ! so you cannot start them with an external timer.
    The slightly more expensive modern machines have a "start in x hrs" button which overcomes the problem.
  • moonrakerz wrote: »
    A lot of the more modern ones require power to be on, for the "on" button to work - if you see what I mean ! so you cannot start them with an external timer.
    The slightly more expensive modern machines have a "start in x hrs" button which overcomes the problem.

An excellent point!
    :confused: I have a poll / discussion on Economy 7 / 10 off-peak usage (as a % or total) and ways to improve it but I'm not allowed to link to it so have a look on the gas/elec forum if you would like to vote or discuss.:cool:
  • Anne3333
    Anne3333 Posts: 254 Forumite
    I would be very wary of switching it on when you are in bed, it is a LONG time flooding if leaking, until you get up for breakfast.
    A neighbour of mine had £15,000 worth of damage when hers leaked whilst she was out at work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure