PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)

Comments

• Easy fajita spice mix I made myself cos I had no packets!

1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    3/4 teaspoon crushed chicken stock cube or boulion if you prefer.
    1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Mix together in a small dish and add to chicken as you would with the packet variety!
    I made sure my chicken strips had a good glug or two of olive oil on them before adding the spices, helps it stick and coat better!

Enjoy!
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Cider Beef Stew

1.5 - 2lbs of Lean Beef stew meat
    8 Carrots, sliced
    6 Medium potatoes, sliced
    2 apples, chopped
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon Thyme
    1/2 Cup chopped Onion
    2 Cups Apple Cider

(I would suggest dry cider and smaller apples - ours was very very sweet and not so nice too sweet!)

Place carrots, potatoes and apples in Slow Cooker. Add meat, sprinkle salt, thyme and onions. Pour cider over meat.
    Cover and cook on LOW heat 8-10hrs (ours cooks fast, so 7-8 was fine for mine).
    Thicken juices with a flour/water mix (1.5-2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons water), cooking on high until thickened.

Serve and Eat.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2.2kg duckling
    3 tbsp chinese five spice paste
    2 star anise
    1 tsp sea salt

For the glaze:
    3 tbsp clear honey
    4 tbsp dark soy sauce
    5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
    100ml rice vinegar or dry sherry

The day before you cook the duck, cut away the strings, and remove and discard the giblets. Wash and pat dry with kitchen paper, then loosely wrap the duck in baking parchment and chill in the fridge until required, preferably overnight. This allows the duck to dry out, so it will be crispier when cooked.

The following day, preheat the oven to 220°C, gas mark 7. !!!!!! the skin of the duck all over with a fork. Make an incision with a sharp knife on the underside of the parson's nose (the tail end) and into the fat gland to release the fat. Place the bird on a wire rack over the sink. Pour a kettle of boiling water over the duck, empty out any water from the inside of the cavity and pat dry with kitchen paper.

This opens up the duck's skin pores to release more fat.

Make the glaze by heating 500ml cold water in a large pan with the honey, soy sauce, ginger and rice vinegar or dry sherry. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until reduced by half.

Meanwhile, rub five spice paste evenly inside the duck, then place the star anise in the cavity. Pour some cold water into the base of a large roasting tin and place the wire rack with the bird on it over the tin. Sprinkle the skin with the sea salt.

Roast the duck on the top shelf of the oven for 15 minutes then brush the skin thoroughly with half the glaze. Roast for 15 minutes, then brush with the remaining glaze . Return the duck to the oven and cook for 1-1¼ hours, reducing the oven temperature to 180°C, gas mark 4 after 15-20 minutes, or once the skin has turned a mahogany colour. If the skin becomes too dark, cover with foil. The duck is cooked if the juices run clear when a skewer is inserted into the thickest part of the thigh.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Since it's getting colder i thought you might like this recipe. It looks complicated, but if you have all the spices isn't too expensive. From the quart of alcohol I usually end up with at least double that of the finished liqueur - depends on the filtering.

2 teaspoons caraway seed
    10 whole cloves
    10 whole allspice
    4 sticks cinnamon
    2 sticks vanilla
    4 half-inch long pieces root ginger
    10 cardamom seeds
    1/2 nutmeg (not grated)
    3 strips orange rind
    3 strips lemon rind
    1 pinch saffron (optional - it's cheap here because i'm near Southall)
    1 pint water
    2 lbs honey
    1 quart vodka (or other grain alcohol)
    I used the cheapest vodka I can find - you can't taste it in the finished drink at all.

Directions:

Crack cardamom seeds and nutmeg. Boil spices, rind and water in a covered pot until liquid is reduced by half. Strain.

In a pot large enough to hold the spiced liquid, alcohol and honey, bring honey to a boil. Skim off the foam. For darker honeys do this more than once.

Pour spiced liquid into honey and stir.

Remove from heat. Place far away from heat to prevent flare-up or explosion of alcohol. Slowly, and very carefully, pour in alcohol.

Replace pot on LOW heat. Heat, being careful not to simmer or boil, for 15 minutes.

Remove from heat and let cool in the same covered pot overnight. Following day, pour into bottles and allow to settle (about 2 weeks). The longer it sits, the clearer it becomes and the better it tastes.

Note: When I make this, I let it settle for a week. Pour off the clear liquid into a separate bottle, being careful not to disturb the sediment. Filter the sedimented portion (through a coffee filter) into a separate bottle. Do this several times over the next month. You will end up with a clear liqueur that is wonderfully warming.
    Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Spiced Carrots

1½ lb carrots
    1oz melted butter
    2 Tbsp orance juice
    pinch of ginger
    pinch of nutmeg
    pepper to season

Put carrots into an ovenproof dish; mix together the remaining ingredients and spoon over the carrots.
    Cover and bake in the oven for 45 minutes - Gas 5/190C/375F

Either: Serve immediately or cool quickly and freeze.

From Frozen: thaw at room temp for 4 hours; reheat for 20-30 mins - Gas 4/180C/350F
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    HM Sandwich Spreads (these are all freezable recipes)

NB: The following applies to all the recipes below.

Put the ingredients in a bowl and beat well.
    To Freeze: put into a freezeable container; seal, label, freeze.
    Defrost: Thaw at room temp for 2 - 3hrs.
    Yield: Fills approx 4 large sandwiches

Chocolate:
    2oz butter
    2oz melted, plain chocolate
    1 Tbsp black treacle/golden syrup

Honey, Raisin (or Sultana) and Nut Spread
    2oz butter
    2 Tbsp honey
    1oz raisins (or sultanas)
    1oz chopped almonds/walnuts

Cheese and Herb
    2oz butter
    3oz finely grated cheese
    1 Tbsp top of the milk or cream
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009
    First Post
    Forumite
    Clootie Dumpling

I shall start with an apology to any Scots, if this is not an accurate recipe, but it's one I use and tastes divine.

4 oz suet
    8oz plain flour
    4oz oatmeal ( can substitute breadcrums for a lighter pud)
    3oz brown sugar
    l rounded tsp baking powder
    8oz mixed dried fruit
    1/2 tsp mixed spice
    1 tsp golden syrup
    2 eggs beaten
    buttermilk or milk to mix

whack all the ingredients into a bowl and mix to form a fairly soft dough. not quite dropping consistency, but not too dry.

Scald a clean teatowel in boiling water and lay out flat. Dredge with some flour then place the mix into the centre of the cloth ( the clout),

Gather up the clout to form a ball shape making sure that the folds are distributed evenly. tie up leaving some expansion room, and place the pudding onto a heatproof plate in a large pan of boiling water. cover the pan loosely and boil for 3 hours remembering to top up the water. The pudding should be fully immersed, and must be topped up with boiling water and kept on a boil not a simmer or the pud will go heavy and soggy.Do not let it boil dry. I find the bottom part of the pressure cooker deep enough or you could use a deep stockpot or pasta pan.

After 3 hours drain the pudding in a colander for a few minutes then untie the cloth and invert the pudding onto a plate. serve with lashings of custard and sink into the chair.

I like it with golden syrup too but I'm sure there will be Scots going NOOOO.

The nice thing with a clootie dumpling unlike other suet puds is it's lovely cold. It slices like a fruit cake, so it's great for the packed lunch the next day.
    I hope you like
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    foreverskint, your recipe sounds just fine ... like many traditional recipes, there are as many different clootie dumpling recipes as there are cooks, no particular one is 'right' (& I'm a Scot so I should know ;))

here's my Granny's Cloootie Dumpling recipe as an example of how very different they can be

1lb self-raising flour
    1 lb sultanas
    8 oz sugar
    1/2 pt millk
    pinch salt
    1/2 lb suet
    1 tablespoon black treacle

mix dry ingredients
    melt treacle in milk & stir into dry mixture
    damp & generously flour a cloth
    place mixture in middle & draw up edges of cloth
    tie well, leaving room for expansion
    pat till ball shaped
    place on a plate in a pan of boiling water & cook steadily for 3 - 31/2 hours, toppng up with boiling water as needed to keep covered
    turn out on to a plate & dry in oven till a skin forms
    slice & eat hot or cold (or cooled, fried & sprinkled with sugar :eek:)
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ingredients:

€ 6 medium Sweet potatoes
    € 1/2 cup Brown sugar
    € 1/4 cup butter -- in bits
    € 1/4 cup Bourbon

Directions:

Bake potatoes in 350F oven until tender. Let cool, peel and cut into slices 1/2 in thick.

Butter 9x13 pan and place potatoes in it. Cover with butter and sugar, and pour bourbon over.

Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • 10lbs apples - any type although we use cooking apples
    3lbs sugar
    1 tbsp cinnamon

Peel and (very) thinly slice the apples
    Layer apples with sugar and let rest for 48 hours, until juice is formed.

Pour off juice into a preserving pot, cook on low heat until half the juice has evaporated in cooking, and the remaining juice darkens and thickens.
    Add 3/4 of apple slices and cook stirring constantly until apple mass is quite thick and no juice remains, about 1 hour.
    Add remaining apple slices, cinnamon and cook until last addition of apples is soft and light colour, giving the cheese a marbled effect.

Pour apple mass into a damp cheese bag, tie and place between two boards and weigh down for 2 days.

Note: Apple juice will go everywhere if you do this. We found it better to put it in a baking tray and cover it with a cake tin (one of the ones with a loose base) and weight it down

Hang cheese in airy spot to dry. (with no garage we used out attic)
    Store in a cool but dry place - fridge is fine, you can also freeze it
    Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure